Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

raginreptile@iprimus

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Handling East. Browns, Mulgas, Spotted Blacks, Collett's as if they were pythons. Just wondering what everyones opinion is on this? Can it be done? Have you seen it done?

It can be done but it's only a matter of time before you get tagged. Not worth the risk.

i have seen it done hundreds of times.. but like MrBredli said "its only a matter of time before you get tagged".. i have seen shows where they handle venomous snakes and i have seen someone almost get bitten by a mulga snake..

Seen it done by a very experienced keeper, but it still made me very nervous. And as MrBredli said, it's only a matter of time, and this particular person I was talking about has had his time over and over again with numerous amounts of near death experiences by being tagged by some of the most deadliest snakes on earth, but he still continues to handle them like an ordinary python....

IMO...very brave, but still very stupid, but then on the other hand, like so many others on here would probably agree...he is very very passionate about his snakes and I do take my hat off to him for that.

blackghost

People that free handle elapids show a lack of respect for the animal, and if doing so for the media just to enhance themselfs should be held acountable by the local licencing athuoritys.
Snake handling needs to be educational and productive.

seen it done by a few people. All of them have said they been tagged, and highly recommend not to do it unless you are very experienced. i still would be using a hook at all times with vens.

why don,t u people read threads properly , he is asking for opinions on this nothing else.:evil::evil::evil:

I still fail to see how freehandling elapids in front of a crowd is of any benefit at all. Some say it is to demonstrate that they aren't fierce, ferocious animals like the public believes they are, but we seem to be able to convey that message clearly enough without freehandling. Regardless of how many times you tell people that they shouldn't try it at home, it will always be a case of "monkey see, monkey do". I know I never responded well to people who used the phrase "do as I say, not as I do".

At the end of the day, I think it is a mixture of an ego trip, adrenaline rush and showmanship that make people do it.

I too have seen it done heaps of times, to every type of dangerous snake, both types of Taipans, Rough Scales, Adders,Stephens,Paleheads, Broadheads, every type.Wild caught as well. The person i have seen do it only does so in the privacy of his own home, and never in public, and is by far the best handler i've ever seen. I dont have a problem with it when its done in those circumstances.

Last edited:
Everybody knows the risks involved when handling Venomous snakes, I dont think they should ever be treated like pythons. People will always take risks for the adrenaline rush or some other reason that in hindsight becomes their downfall.

I've done it with a couple of tigers, a red belly and a speckled brown - and all I can say it's a bloody stupid practice which can only lead to disaster! Sure all of these animals settle down, remarkably so, but consider that some here have been bitten by even the most placid python - at least with a python you're not going to wind up in the IC Unit. I won't be doing it again! It's like playing chicken on a train track blind-folded!

ps: I'm sure this link gets dragged out every time there is talk on this subject, but here are some pristine examples :lol:

http://www.macherps.com/index.php?module=Gallery2&g2_itemId=218

I personally see free handling deadly snakes as a threat to our hobby. IMO there isnt much to it at all, its just taking a small risk of potentially very bad consequences.

Any loser can pick up a snake without getting tagged, just as experienced ppl get bitten in some cases.

I know of people who do it in their shows, and it is entertaining when their "placid" little tiger snake that has "never bitten before" leaves them in hospital for weeks. But hey if you, for some reason, think you know ur animals every action before it hapens i say go for it, but pics of results would be appreciated

Just wanted to say i never said any thing about it being done in public stick to the thread.
You ask if we had seen it done. Most people would have seen it done in the public. Therefore it is quite a valid point to bring up.

Yes i've seen it done, it was in the public and i still whole heartedly feel that it is 100% irresponsible. If you want to do it (for whatever bloody reason that is) then do it in the privacy of your home. Doing it in public is nothing more than a money making, show-off, egotistical rub fest. Your not cool, your stupid.

It's everyones tax dollars that have to foot your hospital bills when your "placid" ven decides to tag you. I don't appreciate that and neither does our health system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back