has a trained snake catcher in australia ever died?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SLACkra

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering how many trained snake catchers have ever died in australia. Lets put the time limit to say the last 30-40 years. An idiot with a shovel of course not being a trained snake catcher.

Andrew

Yeah thinking more from a venomous snake bite or an injury that occured while attempting to capture and relocate a snake.

Yeah I knew there had been bites on some people but couldn't think of any fatalities. Though I completely agree with putting trained in quotation marks. Some people who are supposably "trained" have their own ways of going about snake catching which is in my opinion more likely to result in a bite.

Snake bite treatment in Aus is excellent
So few die directly from the bite
But quite a few have died quite a while later after having been bitten several times over the years
Those deaths would never be placed in the Snake Bite category
These deaths will increase in number as Vens become more popular to keep as pets

I have been bitten twice doing relocations, Eastern Brown and Tiger, but never heard of anyone dying.

I think that the last fatality in Victoria was about 1998...so as far as I am aware there have been no deaths in Victoria....also given that an average of only 2 people every year since 1928 have died from snake bite throughout Australia...the chances are there probably hasn't been a fatality to a snake catcher in a long time....snake keepers?......"Trained" snake catchers does not mean they have experience....all snake catchers learn not just from official or unofficial training, but also years of experience. One should never assume that a person is going to be 100% safe despite years of experience or training....there are a large number of "experienced" snake catchers out there that are pushing boundaries too far and will end up as a bite statistic very soon.

Yeah well at the moment I was jsut thinking snake catchers not snake keepers. I'm working on an assignment about risk analysis and management and instead doing what a lot of my friends were doign and choosing something like driving a car or playing netball I thought it would more fun to do it on snake catching. Not that I'm going to use any of the information given in this thread in my report but when I tried to find out of any snake catcher/relocater had ever died on the job I couldn't find anything. So I was a bit curious and thought some aps members might know.

If you email me some details I can help with that sort of thing as I do risk assessments on all our work especially snake catching, these are usually for mines and other large business!

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the offer Sean but I should be alright. Think I've got the majority of the risks and stakeholders sorted out. Yeah I'm sure the mines must have heaps of fun with all that.

I'm not aware of any fatalities to licensed snake catchers however there has been some damage. Venom is different from species to species and organ and tissue damage can occur even if the person is treated with anti-venom. I believe the above fatality refers to a young fella who was bitten by an Eastern Brown and tried to run to safety. Whilst understandable that is the worst thing he could have done. Professional licensed catchers are required to be first aid trained and carry the appropriate bandages, in Queensland at least, so in the unfortunate event of a bite we should be able to give ourselves the first aid and the extra time it provides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back