Help - Boyd's has given up on life

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kudos to you for all the effort you've put in Ingie; it does my heart good to see someone so devoted to their animals' wellbeing. I hope he improves.

You wanna know something? you are just the best person.... This little guy certainly found an Angel in you, please take comfort in the fact that no matter what happens, you have done all you can and this little fellow is lucky to have had you find him and make him as wanted and cared for as possible :)
I wish you both all the best
Crystal

Just want to concur with CrystalMoon's post. Ingie no can accuse you of not having a fair dinkum crack at keeping this boyds alive. Most people may have given up by now, but full marks to for having the guts to keep going. Best of luck.

Thanks so much for your kind words it really warms my heart. I am not seeing improvement. Today I tried to syringe him 1ml of Hills a/d mixed with some warm water, which he normally swallows without problem. He spat it all out and opened his mouth and shook his head so it flew everywhere with his saliva which is really thick and gross today (still clear). He is consuming water when I syringe it into his mouth and I actually found him in his water earlier today. His dewlap looks like a scrotum (sorry), the top is saggy and empty but the bottom of it is full of swollen tissue. When he tries to walk his legs are stiff and he moves them with small strained shaky jerky motions. It is very sad to look at and I am actually wondering if it would be kinder to put him to sleep, rather than to force him through this whole ordeal. I feel like it is a horrible life for a lizard to live that he must be stressed out every single day by being force fed and watered. He can't enjoy his life :( I haven't decided on that BTW it just crossed my mind :(

He looks very much healthier than one I tried to save once, but of course by the time I got my fella he was very dark, skin and bone and already gone before I got a chance to start.

Its a very hard question "When do you call it?". Its very sad seeing them suffer. Whatever you decide to do, just rmember you have done a marvellous job for him. Is he back pedalling it could be just the weather cold?

I thought about the winter cold so I am not going to rush into anything. He is heated though. Poor lil fella.

Just a thought - sometimes small monitors (and I've heard, geckos) are subject to nematode infestation, and they can concentrate around the lower jaw and in the throat, I believe the worms interfere with the flow of lymph. You could have the lump biopsied (may not be too expensive because it only requires microscopic examination) and if by chance theat's the problem, it can be effectively treated with Ivermectin injections:

- 1 -
European Association of Zoo- and Wildlife Veterinarians (EAZWV)
Third scientific meeting, May 31th - June 4th, 2000, PARIS, France.
AN UNUSUAL INFESTATION WITH RHABDITID NEMATODES IN A
GREEN TREE MONITOR LIZARD (VARANUS PRASINUS);
DIAGNOSIS AND TREATMENT: A CASE REPORT
Willem SCHAFTENAAR 1, G. M. DORRESTEIN 2, J.M.C.H. MENSINK 1 and
H.J.W.M. CREMERS 2
Addresses
1) Veterinary Department, Rotterdam Zoo, Van Aerssenlaan 49 3039 KE Rotterdam, The Netherlands
2) Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Dept. of Pathology, section Diseases of Laboratory Animals, Special
Animals and Wildlife, Utrecht University, Yalelaan 1, 3584 CL Utrecht, The Netherlands.
Summary
In a green tree monitor lizard (Varanus prasinus) an infection of a rhabditid nematodes, resembling
Rhabdiasidae, in the oral cavity is described. The nematodes were treated with a high dose of ivermectin
(0.4 mg/kg p.o.), which resulted in full recovery. In the discussion the possible epidemiology is presented.
Zusammenfassung
Bei einem Smaragdwaran (Varanus prasinus) wurde eine Infektion der Maulhöhle beschrieben, die durch
rhabditide Nematoden verursacht wurde.Gegen die Nematoden
wurden hohe Dosen Ivermektin (bis 0,4 mg/kg KM p.o.) eingesetzt. Dies führte zur völligen Genesung. Die
Epidemiologie wird diskutiert.
Résumé
Chez une femelle varan émeraude (Varanus prasinus) une infection à nématode rhabditidé, semblable à
des Rhabdiasidés, ayant atteint la cavité buccale est décrite. Les nématodes ont été traités avec une forte
dose d’ivermectine (0.4 mg/kg P.V. p.o.), ce qui a permis une guerison complète. L’épidémiologie est
discutée.
Key words
Green tree monitor lizard, Varanus prasinus, Rhabdiasidae, nematoda, stomatitis
Case report
A 10 years old green tree monitor lizard (Varanus prasinus) was presented for anorexia and swelling
around the lips. Body condition was poor (110 g). During examination of the oral cavity a thick yellow
exudate covering the dental area was noticed. After removing this substance, hyperaemic swelling of
most of the peridontium was noticed. No teeth were present.
For diagnostic purposes three biopsies were taken from the periodontal swelling. These biopsies were
fixed in formalin and processed for histological examination. The samples appeared to be full of egg
- 2 -
producing nematodes (Fig 1). A fresh scraping was taken and the nematodes were identified as
females belonging to the order Rhabditida with much features of the family Rhabdiasidae. The length
of the female nematodes was approximately 3.5 mm with a maximum width of 0.2 mm.
A buccal capsula as is distinct in many gener of Rhabdiasidae was absent. The length of the
oesophagus including the bulb was approximately 0.275 mm. There were two uteri filled with
embryonated eggs with the vulva situated in the middle of the worm. Two double-lined alae were
distinct over the total length of the body except in the oesophageal region.
All these features are not concerning any known genus of the Rhabdiasidae like Entomelas, Rhabdias
Fig. 1and Pneumonema.
Biopsy of the periodontium demonstrating rhabditid helminths H & E x 100
Therapy
Treatment was started with ivermectin at a dose of 0.01 mg/kcal of the basal metabolic rate (BMR) s.c.
(= 0.2 mg/kg BW). Affected tissue was flushed daily with Betadine® solution. One week later forced
feeding with day-old mice was initiated twice a week, since the general condition deteriorated. This
was continued during the entire treatment period.
Seventeen days after the first treatment no clear improvement was noticed. The animal was then
treated with ivermectin at a higher dose, 0.3 mg/kg BW s.c.
Ten days later, some of the affected areas showed a reduction of the hyperaemic granulation, while
the lower left jaw was getting worse. Still nematodes were recovered from the granulation tissue.
Affected areas were cleaned and flushed with Betadine® and ivermectin was administered p.o. at a
dose of 0.4 mg/kg BW. Since no side effects caused by the high dose of ivermectin were observed,
this dose was repeated after 3 days. In the following weeks the gums healed slowly. 25 days after the
last treatment with ivermectin, the animal resumed eating on his own. The condition improved rapidly
and 6 months later the body weight had increased to 190 grams.
Discussion
Rhabdiasidae are found in the lungs of amphibians (1, 2, 4, 5, 10) and reptiles (1, 6, 7, 9). In snakes
these parasites have been found in the lung, coelomic cavity and pericardial sac (1). Only
parthenogenetic females parasitize in the final host. The embryo-containing eggs are excreted in the
lungs. During the passage through the gastro-intestinal tract the larvae hatch and can be
demonstrated in the faeces. It is generally thought that in Rhabdiasidae there is sometimes a free
living generation of males and females, producing infectious larvae that can penetrate the skin or the
oral mucosa. To our knowledge there is no record of clinical problems in amphibians or reptiles
caused by a peridontial infestation of larvae that even develop into mature, egg producing
parthenogenetic worms.
Adult nematodes have never been found in the lungs of reptiles kept at the zoo.
During the routine faecal examinations carried out twice a year at Rotterdam Zoo, unidentified larvae
are sometimes found. The significance of this finding is difficult to evaluate, since these larvae can
also be originating from the soil in the exhibit (free-living nematodes). In the absence of clinical
problems, not much attention has been paid to this phenomenon. Retrospective study of the
parasitology results over a period of 8 years shows that unidentified larvae were found in fecal
samples of 46 specimen, belonging to 19 different species of the zoo reptile collection. These results
include 2 samples of the animal involved 3 respectively 1 year prior to this episode. Another V.
prasinus has been kept together with the animal reported upon in this communication and unidentified
larvae in the faeces were reported on June 28 1998. Fresh samples of this contact specimen taken on
October 26, 1999 revealed rhabditid larvae again.
The dose based on BMR (mg/kcal) is a good starting point for treatments of animals of different body
weight and different classes (3, 12). The starting dose becomes independent of animals species. A
relatively high dose of ivermectine (0.02 mg/kcal = 400 Fg/kg BW) was required to clear the infection
in the green tree monitor.
- 3 -
In the past the generally recommended treatment in literature is levamisole hydrochloride 10 mg/kg
BW intracoelomically, repeated after 14 days (8, 11).
This case shows that ivermectin can be used as an alternative.

May be a long shot, but I have spoken to savvy lizard keepers here in Australia, and these things definitely exist here, and have been found in the gums and throats of geckos. See what your vet thinks - symptoms are unusual swellings in the jaw and face and neck, wasting from emaciation and dehydration, and anorexia... you don't really have much to lose.

Jamie

Wow that is really freaky.... I will talk to them tomorrow and see what they say. Yet another thing for me to be paranoid about!

Dont get to paranoid about our little beasties
They are tough little critters

A while ago someone suggested crushed up cuttle fish bone for ulcers and infections
Ive been trying it on a couple of snakes with bad stomasis
Excellent results so far
Second thing would be the Energy drink like Powerade
It contains all the best things for reptiles
Works like magic for lots of complaints as it has so many good things in it
We use it on fussy feeders with success

Other parasites can also cause oedema (swelling) in many other species and my textbook does tell me that this can also occur with severe parasite infection in reptiles, so it may be worthwhile getting a faecal float done as well.

Dont get to paranoid about our little beasties
They are tough little critters

A while ago someone suggested crushed up cuttle fish bone for ulcers and infections
Ive been trying it on a couple of snakes with bad stomasis
Excellent results so far
Second thing would be the Energy drink like Powerade
It contains all the best things for reptiles
Works like magic for lots of complaints as it has so many good things in it
We use it on fussy feeders with success

Glad to see my cuttlefish suggestion is helping

Longqi how do you administer cuttlefish? I have heaps of it for my bird. I have also heard it has fantastic antibiotic qualities.

If it is parasites of any kind, would it be effecting him more because he is sickly, or would he be sickly due to an overload of parasites? That question is probably not able to be answered without the vet but I am wondering about my other reptiles and if they will all be at risk. They are all currently in one room- lizards and snakes. I have been cleaning them all out together and washing all their water bowls etc together.

Longqi how do you administer cuttlefish? I have heaps of it for my bird. I have also heard it has fantastic antibiotic qualities.

If it is parasites of any kind, would it be effecting him more because he is sickly, or would he be sickly due to an overload of parasites? That question is probably not able to be answered without the vet but I am wondering about my other reptiles and if they will all be at risk. They are all currently in one room- lizards and snakes. I have been cleaning them all out together and washing all their water bowls etc together.

I'm not too sure about the cuttlefish administration.
In regards to the parasites, when the immune system is down they will be able to take over quicker and in higher numbers. It can work both ways though, he may have been a little sick then the parasites set in and made him even more sick and run down :(
With cleaning etc, if he does have parasites then yes your whole collection is at risk. Try cleaning his enclosure last, handling him last, cleaning water and food bowls separately and after cleaning all the others etc to try to reduce the risk of transmission.
When you get any new reptile you will always run the risk of them having something that the rest of your collection could contract from the new animal. They reccomend you quarantine new reptiles (for up to 6 months) in a separate room and tend to that reptile last after all the others (i'm not flaming you or anything but just letting you know).

I also wanted to let you know that you are going so well with looking after him and some other people would have given up by now. You are amazing for giving him a chance in life and i really hope he improves for you. I have been following along for a while now and think you are doing everything you can to heal him :)
Good luck and i hope the vet may be able to shed some more light after you have some other tests done.

That depends on the type of parasites as different families of parasites have different lifecycles.

Some helminths (worms) can directly infect your animals (ie. they dont need to infect an intermediate host first) which is possible but unlikely as it would involve you (transmitting the eggs from faeces usually) or your other animals having contact with his faeces and ingesting the eggs. Where as other parasites will need to infect an intermediate host (eg. frog, invertebrate etc) before it has to ability to cause infection in your lizards.

However it is not difficult to transmit viruses, protozoan parasites or ectoparasites between your animals. I think the hot water and detergent would kill most organisms but there is a slight possibility that some have survived and remained infective. From now on I would do everything with him (including cleaning) separate to your other animals just to decrease the risk of transmission, which will vary with the species of parasite - if it is a parasitic infection. I assume you keep a few other animals so just keep an eye on them and Im sure you'll notice any change if there is one.

As for the cuttlefish, grind it up into a fine powder and mix it in with the water that you syringe him. Oral administration would be the best option in this case - it can be used topically for cuts and wounds

The positioning of the swelling would indicate it is a lymph gland, equivalent to the one we possess just under the inside of our jaw bone. The rate and degree and variation in the swelling makes it most unlikely to be a response to infection. Besides which, that gland receives lymph fluid from the right hand side of the snout and there is nothing apparent to indicate the presence of infection in that region. So a specific nematode was suggested as the likely cause for the swollen gland in the neck.

I recognise that people are not intentionally meaning to scare the hell out of the girl but I suspect that all the talk about what it could be isn’t helping to put her mind at ease. So unless someone has an alternative explanation for the swelling in the dewlap, I would go with Pythoninfinite’s advice at this stage. If that is in fact the cause, then it is highly curable. Provide the vet with Pythoninfinite’s information and see what he/she thinks. Incidentally, Ivermectin is also effective against a broad range of other internal and ectopic parasites.

Blue

RIP little man I love you :'( His name was Vernie after my Grandpa who is no longer here either. I called him that cause his Dewlap reminded me of my Grandpa's chin :'(

sorry to hear that Ingrid...... if everyone put as much effort into their animals as you there would be a lot more happier Critters out there !!! RIP Vernie

sorry for your loss but buy the sounds of it you did your best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back