help feeding my baby gecko

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Knobbies

Reaction score
i just bought 2, 4 month old knob tailed gecko's and one is eating like crazy and the other hasn't eaten for 5 days now and im starting to worry about it.
does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get it to eat???

What are you offering it, in what sizes and how much?

Sometimes the babies will freak out if you add heaps of insects to its tank at once and they start crawling over it all at once. This can make them see their food as scary not tasty. There are many other reasons it can stop eating so try give a little more info like temps, size of animal and cage etc...

make sure the food is small enough so it isnt intimidating! and try feeding separately maybe the other is hogging all the food!

i am only feeding them small crickets, which are about half a centremeter long, im feeding them seperately but one just doesnt want to eat. The geckos are about 5-6cm long and they are housed in a exo-terra 18" by 18" by 24" terranium

could be stressed out from being in a big cage. do u have enough hides in ur cages? i would also put them in smaller cages, they might be having trouble catching food in such a big area. i had that problem with my baby goldentail gecko, the cage was to big so he couldnt find the food well enough. just an idea :)

I think it may be having probs catching the crix. My male gecko is hopeless! He strikes 10 times before catching anything. Even mine as adults get really stressed from too many crickets. I only ever have a max of 3 crickets in the tub at feeding time. Anymore and the poor geckos just spend their time running away. I also suggest putting them in a smaller tub. Also, are you leaving the crix in overnight? The little one may be a shy eater?

Dominance is also a factor. One gecko will sometimes dominate another, and the lesser will not be able to compete for food. If your enclosure, hides and temps are fine I would consider this. It may mean that you feed them seperately. This can be done even in the same enclosure by feeding one outside the hide, and placing a few in the hide for the one that isn't feeding.
Disabling the cricket will also help, so that it does not move quickly.
Ensure that uneaten crickets are taken from the enclosure.

I would keep them seperately and in smaller enclosures.

i have been feeding them seperately and making sure that one doesnt dominate the other when it comes to eating, and still it doesnt want to eat. could it be that its in a new enclosure and just isnt use to it yet???

feeding them in seperate enclosures and kepping them in two different enclosures are not the same. If your moving your baby gecko`s to different enclosures for feeding, it can be very stressful for them, also are you handling them? and if so how much?

i'm feeding them in the same enclosure but only one at a time, coz one's always hidden underground in its burrow and doesnt come out to really late at night, not handling them at all coz i know it stresses them quite a bit, and they dont get moved into any other enclosures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back