Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrillusion

Reaction score
my light bulb reaches up to 38 degrees at night is this to hot 4 a coastal he usually only comes out when the light is off and when the light turns on hes back in his hide in 2 mins
PS: this is right under the light, about 10CM under the light:?:?:?:?

too hot turn ya thermostat down or if no thermostat then get a lower power globe

i would get a thermostat though as 38c is yeah abit to hot

and what would happen if i left it at 38 degrees would it kill the snake or cause health problems and could this have anything to do with why the snake doesn't come out when the light is on and does when its off?????

Get a cheap temp gauge, the round ones are ideal. Put it under the lamp, at the height that your snake is at when he sits there & wait for a while. Then check it. You will know what the temp is at that spot. I do that for all my smaller tanks. I set the lamp, then find a rock or hollow log that is the right height for the temp i want [ 32C]. The snake can then sit there to get warm & will move off to cooler spot.

38 is too hot.
How big is your cage?
What is the coolest temp away from the globe?
If you can't afford a thermostat right away, get a smaller wattage globe as someone else suggested.

Yeh, how big is your enclosure and is it a wooden set up or a aquarium? I have my hides away from the lamp, the theory being that you see more of your snake. Glass aquariums tend to loose heat faster. I ran my60x30x30cm tank's 60watt lamp pretty near those temps with an on off thermostat because my cold end was to cold. This week I built a wooden enclosure to replace the tank (not for heating, for more room). I have four enclosures and they all run different lamp temps at point blank because the dimensions are quite varied. I have a 150cm high enclosure that has a very hot lamp in it because the floor is always cold, and my coastals in there hardly ever go on the floor.

With that in mind it sounds like your hide needs to be moved because if it really was to hot in there your snake would retreat to the water bowl not the hide to cool off. Some pics might help.

its 38 degrees on the vine below the light not his hide and at the cold side its 23 degrees well thats what my crystal thermometer saids but i don't believe it and i keeping temp at on the vine so far the max is 38 degrees and i do have a thermostat but its just an on/off thermostat.
heres some pics the enclosure is 2 foot long 1.8 foot high and 1.1 foot deep.
and also there is no paper on the ground of the enclosure any more not its crushed walnut shells.

Attachments

• DSC00933.jpg
    DSC00933.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC00904.jpg
    DSC00904.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 20
Just turn ya thermostat down to 32C degress mate. 38C is too hot. More then likely your coastal comes out when the light is off because they are a nocturnal speices.
If you find when you turn your thermostat down, the light is constantly flicking on and off, i would suggest you get a lower wattage bulb so it stays on most of the time. That will save the lifespan of the bulb a little bit ;)

yea but the probe on the thermostat doesn't seem to work probably ive got the thermostat on 20 degrees but still turns off at different temp

Well, you can throw that in the bin :lol:

Looks like your up for a new thermo or a lower wattage bulb for the time being.

go to the pet store and buy a 60 watt night glo or infra redglobe. at pets paradise the cheap ones are about 15 bucks. this will ensure minimal disturbance to your nocturnal coastal. get a new probe thermostat. make sure the probe is not being affected buy the vent as this will give a false reading. i have a murray darling carpet and her hot end is at about 30-32 while the thermostat is set to 29-30 at the cool end. just keep experimenting until you get it right as different enclosures have a different rate o heat loss. the health of your snake is worth far more than a few lost bucks on new equiptment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back