Help with juv blotchie

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reptilife

Reaction score
Hi All!
I have very recently been given a juvenile T. Nigrolutea and am having trouble getting it to feed at all.
I am unsure how old it is, but it's about 10cm long. It doesn't appear to be emaciated but had been competing with a number of mature lizards for food.
I have tried everything to encourage it to feed, but am unsure if it has eaten anything. It is evident that it's walked through food in its tub but I haven't seen it eat at all. How much would a baby bluey even eat???
Hope someone can help.

PS: I've tried beaten egg, mashed banana, finely chopped strawberries and honey-dew melon, baby custard etc.

Is it heated? 'private' enclosure (not exposed with all glass sides), try cat food, cant usually go wrong there.

Yes he's inside so warm enough. Have him in a small tank so will try some catfood and 'private quarters'.
Have tried snails... seems disinterested.

Thanks for replies!

Any other ideas?

Inside? without heat? or inside with heat???

My babies that i just sold would not eat if the heat was not on, they were all kept inside. Just because it is warmer inside doesnt mean it is warm enough to get an appetite and digest food. They need a hot spot.

What are the temps?

Do you have UV and heat lamp?
Being "inside" wont mean he is warm enough..

did you ask what type of food it had been fed on previously?
lizards can be a bit funny with new foods, but if you squish a bit of the food on his nose, then he is forced to lick it off, that has worked for me in the past, once they get the taste they usually decide to eat, they just need a little push in the right direction. hope i could help :S

i had the same problem with mine, just keep him seperate from the other lizards, put him in an enclosure by himself and make sure there is a lamp or something to heat him up :) hope it works for you like it did for me :) slow live bugs works the best :)

reptilife:

The lack of apparent appetite may be due to another issue or a number of other issues.

Could you give a full description of your set-up?

Thanks for the feedback Guys.

He is in a 18inch plastic tub with vented lid, which is inside a 3foot terrarium with a heatlamp at one end.
The average ambient temp is about 25deg.

He is very inactive although I have found now he has moved to the other end of his container.
Either escaping heat or just becoming a little more active....

my little girl was the same when i first brought her home (approx 1mth old). i tried all sorts of food, but she was not interested.

as long as you have something for him to burrow/hide under and access to fresh water, along with the heat etc, i'd say that he just needs to settle in. you won't need to worry until he starts looking skinny (this is easy to see on blueys). Donna wouldn't eat properly for about 1 month after i got her, she'd just have the occassional mouthful when nobody was around. you wouldn't know it to look at her now - she even tries to hunt our snakes when we have them out!

my little girl was the same when i first brought her home (approx 1mth old). i tried all sorts of food, but she was not interested.

as long as you have something for him to burrow/hide under and access to fresh water, along with the heat etc, i'd say that he just needs to settle in. you won't need to worry until he starts looking skinny (this is easy to see on blueys). Donna wouldn't eat properly for about 1 month after i got her, she'd just have the occassional mouthful when nobody was around. you wouldn't know it to look at her now - she even tries to hunt our snakes when we have them out!

Thanks Pickle. I'm really hoping this is the case. He has food & water & heat.... 'tis up to him now.

Might seem an odd suggestion, but try mealies. They don't get around real fast and the movement seems to set off the hunt response. Worked for me. Couldn't get one of mine to eat at all. Gave it a mealie and it hasn't stopped eating since

Why is he in a tub in a 3ft enclosure?

Cant you just put him straight into the 3ft enclosure and make sure there is a 40degree basking site.

Last week I purchased a shingleback that was in an enclosure in the shop with a heap of food, and none of it was touched. As soon as I got the lizard home and he got warm enough basking in his new enclosure, he foraged around and ate everything that was in his food bowl. Then he proceeded to smash around a dozen woodies.
Not sure what the shop was doing wrong, but he eats like a pig around here!.

The tub is fine for the time being but as it grows it will become inadequate.

I think the lizard is stressing with the change of environment and is not used to you yet.

He may have been bullied or dominated at your mates place by siblings or a larger lizard.

He should settle down soon. Just make sure he can hide and get away from the heat if he wants to. Fresh water must always be on hand and hiding places.

What ever you feed it, give the food a dusting of calcium and vitamin D3 powder to promote healthy development and to avoid health issues.

Might I suggest you tease him with live food. Eg: mealworms, small snails, slugs, beetles, cockroaches etc. Although some of these have little nutritional benefit, it would be a good start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back