hi everyone, im new a new reptile owner and very excited about it

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hailey

Reaction score
I got a 6month old shingleback from a petshop in canberra on friday- i live in the nsw. they did not ask me if i had a licence to keep one so i just thought i didnt need one, looking into it i do so i am now applying for one.

im feeding him meat (feeder worms, snails, grubs and raw meat) one day, frut and veg the next then nothing on the 3rd day. he so far seems happy and relaxed with his new home (loving his new food) im using heat lamp for him at the moment and he loves it.

so now you know he is in good hands i just want to know some things. how often do they shed? what the avrage life span? and i know in the wild they bond and pair up for life so should i get him a friend in the future?

what should i call him???

any tips and advice is welcomed,
thanx- hailey

i would recommend getting a licence if you plan on getting more, but in sa you can own one without a licence, but anymore you need a licence..
they can live to over 20 years, they love to eat flowers and snails,fruit and occasionly raw meat(roo mince, chicken mince)

hope that helps a little

regards mick

Hey! Welcome to the world of reptiles!! Congratulations on picking up your new friend, you sound like you've given him an excellent home. I would apply for a license just incase you decide to get more. Some good names could be Stumpy, Mr shingles, Mr stumpy, lol thats all i can think of right now but congrats :)

sweet thanx everyone, every thing helps. i just want a good happy healthy life for my little guy.

If you live in NSW, and you acquired your shingleback in the ACT, before you even have a NSW licence, you've fallen foul of the law already... You need to get your licence BEFORE you can acquire any animals, and you'll need an import permit to bring it legally from the ACT into NSW.

The dealer should have told you these things before he sold it to you. You probably should let the ACT 'authorities' know what the dealer has done, not to cause him trouble, but to prevent this sort of behaviour causing problems down the line for other keepers with a similar lack of knowledge.

Jamie

Theres alot of people out there Jamie that dont realise you need a licence to keep reptiles.But in saying that the petshop shouldve mentioned it before he even brought it.I didnt realise in NSW petshops are allowed to sell them.I would however mention to the authorities about your situation.Move any reptiles from different states,you need a import-export permit..

Theres alot of people out there Jamie that dont realise you need a licence to keep reptiles.But in saying that the petshop shouldve mentioned it before he even brought it.I didnt realise in NSW petshops are allowed to sell them.I would however mention to the authorities about your situation.Move any reptiles from different states,you need a import-export permit..
she bought the lizard in the ACT not NSW ..she lives in NSW ....do as Jamie says best of luck that you dont get into a bit of bother with it ..

Wow I can't believe they sold it to you without telling you that you need a license. They wanted to see mine before they'd even let me handle them let alone buy one.

Pet shops cannot sell reptiles in NSW at this point in time Mark, it was purchased in the ACT and the dealer is way short of his obligation to the buyer with regard to the info he provided. Clearly wanted a sale regardless of his reputation as a clean and helpful dealer. He could cause you all sorts of trouble Hailey, so report the sale as soon as you can to the ACT people who handle commercial premises like this - he has an obligation to you and the animals he sells to ensure that paperwork is in order. Quite possibly the animal was wild-caught and just fed into the system in the hope it goes unnoticed.

Jamie

when i got the little guy i told them i have no licence and i live in the nsw, the girl said "thats ok you dont need a licence in the nsw if you own only one catagory 1 lizard" so with that said i went back 3 days latter and got him. im worrie if i do report the pet shop i might loose my new friend, whom i have bonded with. its a very trick situation. im just going to obtain a licence (already printed out the papper work) and keep the recept of the lizard- but i live on the border so i can apply for the NSW or the ACT licence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back