Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mosco

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a 10 Gallon tank for my snake and I need a lid for it... Aha
Could you please share some ideas on how to make a lid. Thanks guys this would be a great help!:D

1. Buy a piece of MDF or particle board and cut it so that it is a couple of mm bigger than the tank on all sides
2. Drill a couple of ventilation holes at one end of the piece of wood
3. Buy 4-6 small, metal right-angle brackets and screw them to each side to stop it sliding around
4. Find something heavy to put on top

Why use a fish tank? Get a wooden enclosure. Better insulation and easier to fix things inside to. If you have to ask how to cover a glass aquarium I doubt you have the tools and ability to make a cover.

I got given the tank and I don't want to spend $200 if I can help it. I'd rather just spend $20 on a cover for the tank

Buy fly screen kits from a hardware store make the alloy frame just fit inside the top of the tank use clips and hinges to hold into place if you wish using double sided tape on glass

So you are going to pay $250+ for a stimi or $400+ for a SWCP don't you think that kind of investment deserves a decent home?

How are you heating the fish tank?

I'm getting a stimsons and I'm going to save up from my work so when he gets bigger I can buy him I big tank! :) and I'm using a heat mat with thermostat

hope the heat mat doesnt crack the glass then? I hate mats, there are heaps of pictures on this forum where they have caught fire.
What substrate are you using? will the heat go through the substrate?

hope the heat mat doesnt crack the glass then? I hate mats, there are heaps of pictures on this forum where they have caught fire.

I'm using sand.... My tank is 10 gallon so what wattage should I use?

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Okay :D but what wattage sould I use then? Like what heating?

Cant use sand in WA. It's against our keeping rules and regs. The heat wont go through the sand. In a small 7ltr tank use paper towel or newspaper.

With a click clack use heat cord or a heat mat with a couple of mm gap between the mat and the plastic tub. Use paper towel as the substrate.

With a click clack use heat cord or a heat mat with a couple of mm gap between the mat and the plastic tub. Use paper towel as the substrate.

+1

Plus have half the click clack on the heat matt. So there's a hot and cool side don't forget a thermostat and thermometer to check temps.

I'd go with a Matt simpler and you don't have cord everywhere.

+1

Plus have half the click clack on the heat matt. So there's a hot and cool side don't forget a thermostat and thermometer to check temps.

I'd go with a Matt simpler and you don't have cord everywhere.

But if i have a mat dont i have to have it on a peice of wood or my table will get burnt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back