Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hey i got a black headed python
i power feed it, so about once or twice a week
but i do that with all my snakes spotteds, carpets and stimis.

Every ~6 days, yearling Morelia Spilota Imbricata. He hasn't denied yet but if he does i'll wait 2 days then offer again.

Last edited:
I feed my younger jungles, diamonds once a week or once I know they have passed there last meal then I"ll give them a feed and I feed my adults once a fortnight.
I don't see the point in power feeding it just cost me more and makes them obese and less active and can also cause fatty liver problems.

power feeding is bad for snakes. Shortens their life span. I feed my young guys weekly and my older guys fortnightly

Can pythons eat chicken necks?

There's a few people on here that feed there snakes chicken necks, I give my adults an occasional feed on chicken necks just to give them a change.. There not nearly as nutritious as Rats/mice are though..

i have been feeding my juvie carpet every 7-8 days but i might shorten this to 6-7 aswell as uping the food size

How old is it? If still not fully grown I feed based on shed frequency and adjust feeding accordingly.For growing carpets shedding anywhere between 4 and 8 weeks is fine with 4 week intervals being on the absolute limit.

I feed my snakes when they exhibit hunting behaviours and then the food item is appropriate for their size and age.

Feed my yearling jungle about every 6 - 8 days, 25g small hopper rat, but will extend that out to 10 - 14 days be the this time next year. I normally let her 'tell' me when she's ready for another feed, when she's sitting on her branches in her hunting pose

I feed my yearling bredli every 10days, which i just swapped to after feeding every 7days for the last 6mnths.

My 2 year old stimson (about 2 and a half foot in length) gets two adult mice once every 10-14 days (could up the food size but haven't gotten around to it yet so I just give him two to compensate).

My five foot diamond gets one sub-adult rat (decent size) once every 10-14 days depending. I'm considering whether or not I could move her up a size but for now she seems okay on these.

If they show hunting behaviour earlier, I will see if they have passed their last meal and try giving them another feed, if they take it then great, if not then oh well. They're still alive and kicking so I must be doing something right :)

Power feeding produces larger fatty reserves, larger fatty reserves are bad on the organs most captive snakes are overweight compared to wild specimens, i have spoken to many people who believe this, its also touched on in the complete carpet python book. i have heard this from many breeders including the authors of TCCP and all the speakers from the Symposium last year in Sydney.

food for thought.
Nato

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back