i need advice on my new carpet snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

simbad_666

Reaction score
HI there all, I'm new to this forum and to snake keeping. Just got my license and my first snake and it is an inland carpet snake. Got her yesterday and she is a little snappy. Just curious, what i should do to settle her down and if she will eventually settle down. Any advice at all would be much appreciated. Thank you for your time.
Troy.:shock:

Do you mean carpet python?

How old is she? Because it's not uncommon for hatchies to be snappy, they normally tend to grow out of it (however some sankes just don't like to be touched at all, more of a look at than handle snake) You should leave her alone for 1 - 2 weeks so she can settle down into her new environment, don't disturb her, unless you're changing her water. Also what is she housed in? A click clack or an enclosure? Is the enclosure/click clack placed in a low traffice room?

I've read on here that if you get a rag and whipe some of your sweat on it and then place it in the snakes enclosure/click clack and then leave it there over a period of time, the snake associates that scent as a save place, that might be something to think about.

Once you are confident that she has settled down, handle her 2 or 3 times a week, for no more than 10 minutes each time, you don't want to stress her out.

when you are going to handle her, go in very slow and preferably not from above. I have found with aggressive snakes if you move in very slow with fluid movements and pick them up gently in one move, they settle down really fast. it is normal for the snake to flinch the moment it is touched and this causes people to snap their hand back which a snake will see as dinner or a threat and will attack. When it flinches, either pause or just keep going in to pick her up in a slow movement.
good luck mate

Give her time to settle in dont handle her for about a week. Just let her get used to her new environment. Then bit by bit take her out do as R1 says hand in slowly not fast they freak at fast movements as my 4yo female coastal is the same when in her enclosure. It's a territorial thing. If she's only a hatchy try to handle say maybe 10mins a day until she stops trying to tag you but if she does it's not going to hurt shes still only a baby. But thats just my opinion. At the moment I have 5 snakes so I know how it feels to be tagged by my 3 hatchies it feels funny and looks funny when something so small trys to lunge out and bite you. Cause thier rear faced fangs are so small it dont hurt. Unlike like my 3 and 4yo coastals :| OUCH!!!

thanks for the help guys , sorry i meant carpet python , she is in a click clack and she was born in early feb , i lamed her lady lol , i had to change her click clack today and was nervous but she didnt snap at me so i will leave her now and handle her i a week to see how she goes , thanks again for all the help

hey sinbad here are you located? Just coz when I read you wrote inland it made me think you are in WA meaning you have the hills colour variation of the carpet not the coastal.
SL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back