Is this Litoria rubella?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevo2

Reaction score
This little guy has visited me 2 nights in a row; tonight I caught a few photos to try and identify him. Location is Townsville.

Attachments

• frog1.jpg
    frog1.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 69
  • frog2.jpg
    frog2.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 77
  • frog3.jpg
    frog3.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 87
  • frog4.jpg
    frog4.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 78
Considering the location I would say L.rubella as looking through the field guides there is nothing else I can find that it may be.

Maybe it's Litoria rheocola but I'm not sure they come this far South?

Just, out of curiosity, wandered out the front and he's still hanging out there - looks like he's settled in and this is now his home :)

It is definitely a L. rubella. They can be pretty variable and I wouldn't even say that one is anything but normal looking.They are usually one of the most common frogs in urban areas throughout their incredibly large range.Its definitely not a Litoria rheocola. They occur only in rainforest and are pretty habitat specific. It also looks nothing like a L. rheocola.

Stephen

Its one of the rubella complex....there is a number of species presently lumped within rubella

Cheers,
Scott Eipper

Thanks guys! I'ts a cute little fella; hopefully he'll hang around.

Definately "Litoria rubella".

I am a lumper but having seen this species across its range it is clear there is more than one species involved.

Aaron

Not really Jason.....burton's are a good example of a wide ranging variable species, as are Carpet Pythons-even most the "subspecies" within carpets probably aren't worth recognising
Cheers,
Scott

Definately "Litoria rubella".

I am a lumper but having seen this species across its range it is clear there is more than one species involved.

Aaron

LOL, was just stiring the pot ;), the ones I have seen from western NSW seem the same as the ones in Northern Qld, though I'm sure there is plenty of variance within the species.... do any have vastly different calls?
Yes Scott, Burtons are all pretty much the same..... just not enough "work" done on them yet eh? ;).....

Jason,

Fair bit of work was done on them in the early 90's

Cheers,
Scott

no worries, I have the flu atm...running a bit slow

Cheers

LOL, was just stiring the pot ;), the ones I have seen from western NSW seem the same as the ones in Northern Qld, though I'm sure there is plenty of variance within the species.... do any have vastly different calls?

The only noticeable difference in the call I have detected is from "L. rubella" in the Arnhem Land. These frogs also look quite different to the more widespread inland form on rubella. The coastal form of rubella from northern NSW through Queensland is also slightly different to those of the inland. I think there are at least 3 different forms and I believe genetic work is currently being done on this species.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back