Just a little help please

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

larrisa

Reaction score
hay guys just wondering if it is normal for a spotted python to still take food a day before they shed????
i tried to hold pierre (i know i know it just fits him so well lol:lol:) on saturday morning but he wasnt his self and was very cranky he kept striking at my thumb and was staying in strike mode:( i thought he was just hungry as it was his feed day after he ate he just went back in to his hide didnt see him at all yesterday and then this morning my partner and looked in his tank and seen that he had shed i had no idea that he was going to i didnt think he was due til the end of the month so i thought i would just ask i am still new to all of this
thanks larrisa

If you look closely you will soon be able to tell when they are ready to shed
Their eyes go cloudy for a few days
Sort of a grey milky colour
Then the eyes will almost clear again
Usually after that they shed within 24 hours

Some snakes get touchy before shedding
Some dont
Each one is different

All my burmese couldnt care less
They can be handled any time and eat like pigs even if totally blind

But my mangroves get very touchy and wont go near food
One retic is fine
Others become spawn of satan

So you need to learn from your snake
Only he can tell you

I think that's pretty normal behaviour.

My spotted hatchie shed over the weekend, he's about 3 months old. Both times i've seen him shed he behaves a bit differently. He wouldn't take his food for about 2 weeks and he usually feeds very well. After he ate, he started shedding later that night. He's happy as larry now.

Looks nice and shiny too!

photo (16).JPG

Is normal behaviour for my Spotty.....

She remains placid and calm all the way throughout her shed cycle, eating as normal.....The only difference we notice is that she will tend to spend more time in her hide for the 3 days when her eyes go 'steely' coloured. If we get her out of the hide she handles as normal - she just prefers to stay there for the 3 days if we don't disturb her.

All her other personality traits are as normal....Hope she does not change as she gets older.

thanks guys for all ur help
he has been out more yesterday and today
was going to get him out this afternoon and have a play with him
but we in the middle of a storm and it is a bit cold now lol i will leave him alone for a while thanks again

I have a two year old spotted who did this every time. I was I read up on snakes and was told that she wont eat before she sheds... turns out she didn't read the manual :)She has been so bad that she couldn't even see the mouse and still ate it! I have had no problems with her doing it and all of her sheds come out nicely so I guess some just never refuse a feed:) But the longer you have them you begin to notice when they are going to shed.

well i was surprised as he shed in nearly one piece i had him out then for about 40 mins and he was so happy not like the snake i held on saturday lol i will give him a treat tonight he seems to like a bit of raw rump every now and then

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back