Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some hatchlings are smarter than average and tend not to bask much, since in the wild, basking presents an opprtunity to predators like foxes for eg. As long as the water temp is right hell be ok, but dry periods are good for them, discourages fungus. If the basking light is nice and warm, hell scramble aboard when he wants! :D

Basking is primarily for thermoregulation, the uva/uvb of the sun, is a bonus, turtles dont know they need it for D-3. Be sure to get him outside as much as you can while its small and growing particularly, even on cloudy days. Softshell is also caused by lack as calcium aswell, so ensure its diet includes it. whole freshwater fish are an ideal source of calcium, you can also add calcium in pwder form into pre-prepped meals then freeze. most insects can be dusted since they float, some will wash off but they will get some. Cuttlebone for birds is great calcium too, they munch on it over time, you can grate it for hatchlings. :D

I am looking on NPWS species list (i have no newer one)and oblonga is in class 1 it sought of surprises me, and broad shelled is class 2. Ive got class 2 and would be best off financially to get broad shell as the category keeps the price down as there is fewer buyers.Probably why the price say of ring tailed gex is similar to other gex and stori get low prices cause on class 2 in NSW. :?:

Inny, It has suction caps which keep it stuck to the side so i guess he does get up sometimes. I've seen heaps and heaps of Oblonga's in the wild and they're always basking although they're all adults. He used to have a little bit of a bendy shell although he was only about a month old so im guessing it was still soft from when he hatched. His shell is very hard now so im happy. :)

Thats quite normal jonathon, the shell takes a while to form and harden, it remains a little bit bandy near the cloaco for a few months, the more light outdoors the better. Be careful not to let it overheat while basking outdoors in summer, if its hot for you, its lethal to him. Looks like hes happy to me and loves it in there! :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back