Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Obrien

Reaction score
Hi i live in adelaide and i am looking for a pet lizzard i heve never owned one before and want only a slamm one that is not hard to keep i have heard of leopard geckos but i am unsure of both where i can buy one and if they are avaliable in australia. I found some pics of other peoples lizards and would like something similar so could you please tell me som info about these like how hard the are to keep and how much they are and also if there is anyway to get them in adelaide. Thank you for taking your time to read this.

These are the pics of the lizards i was looking at that i think are similar to leaopard gekos if i cant but a leopard gecko i will think of getting one of these.

Attachments

• 100_7050.jpg
    100_7050.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 143
  • IMAG0212.jpg
    IMAG0212.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 142
Im not 100 percent sure but i dont think we have leopard geckos here......Maybe some marbled geckos?? Im a newbie aswell, and getting my first marbled geckoes next week (bursting out of my skin)HAHAHA cant wait

Where in aus are you? Someone had a gecko and enclosure going pretty cheap on gumtree i think......

leopard geckos are exotic (from overseas) which means we cannot keep them here in australia. The geckos pictured though are australian natives and can be kept.

thats a shame, leopards are one of the few geckos that appeal to me.

The closest thing to a Leopard Gecko in Australia in terms of size, how you keep it and how well it handles is probably the Joy Lizard or Knob-tailed Gecko, Nephurus levis (what you have pictured on the left are Joy Lizards). They come in lots of colours and are very easy to keep. By Australian standards they're a very large gecko.

They've been very popular lately and get snapped up quickly, but if you keep your eye on the classifieds you should be able to find some before too long :)

There are also plenty of climbing geckoes, some of the Oedura species are good, and if you want something smaller you could go for a Diplodactylus (these don't climb much) or Strophrurus (like your picture on the right). Plenty of wonderful Australian geckoes to chose from :)

Thanks to everyone who replied so quicly. i just saw a ring tailed gecko which i beleive is native to australia just wondering how common these are to buy and also how much for one roughly thanks again.

what state are u in? it shoudl narrow ur choices down a little. I think ringtailed geckos r on a class 2 licence in nsw.

I would be paranoid about their tails falling off... That's why I started with beardies. :)

im in SA if that helps all i really want is a resonable cheap good looking gecko and i think ring tails look cool.

If you want to hold it often and dont have a lot of dough spare, get a beardie, they have great temperaments and come at a very reasonable price. Top of the list for beginer Herps in general. Be warned though, get one you'll want more. Best of luck and welcome to the 'Herp Club'.

I do like bearded dragons but they are to big for where i live and i dont have the money to buy a huge setup with like a big glass cabinet and all that stuff i was planing on using a medium sized fish aquarium that is why i wanted a smalish gecko and not a large bearded dragon.

Mate, go for the Pygmy Bearded Dragon (also known as Black soil bearded dragon or Pogona henrylawsonii), they are about half the size of standard beardies, are as cute as anything, and easier to house. You could have a pair in a 3ft fish tank.

Am i right that in australia we can only get animals that are from australia and not any like salamanders for example and cool chameleons and other geckos. Also what is the other gecko i have a picture of the one with the crazy eyes?

It's Strophurus taenicauda, Golden tailed gecko. Thanks for asking permission to use my pics....

i do appologise i didnt know it was a probelm. Do u know rougly how much one of these would cos and if they are common? and also are they nocturnal?.

They are relatively common in captivity. Going rate is around $150. Yes they are nocturnal.

do you need like the under floor heating mats or anything like or is that only for like bearded dragons?

They like a hot spot of 28 degrees, which I provide by a low wattage globe, and it is general practise to give low levels of uvb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back