MD Vs. Darwin?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OzExcalibur

Reaction score
It is time for a new snake and I am trying to decide between another MD or a Darwin. So I am looking for a bit of info on keeping a Darwin please. e.g How hardy are they? What differences do they require for a habitat compared to an MD? I assume they would need a bit more humidity than an MD? How big do they grow?

Any advice is appreciated.

From what i've seen of friends who keep Darwins, their husbandry is pretty much the same as my MD. If you want to breed, go for another MD to match them up, or if you want something different to look at/add to the ambience of your collection i'd go the Darwin for some variety.

I would go a darwin. I keep mine the same as I keep my MDs (although I do live in the top end). The Darwins I keep aren't real snappy but they have enough attitude to scare off the relatives.

murrays are the best snakes ever

I concur. Darwins have some nice colour variations but they tend to be a bit snappier. Never had a bite from an MD. Different story with the Darwin's.

if you want the better looking snake get a north west carpet, or for something more placid go an inland carpet

Thank you all for the input, I would love to get my MD a girlfriend to play with, but I would also love to have something different too.

Decisions decisions, maybe it would be easier to convince the missus I need 2 new snakes than to make a decision one way or the other.

GOOD luck with that im tryin to convince mine that i need atleast 4 new snakes, not doin too well with it

Love the look of the Darwin Carpets, rich bold colours with a beautiful pattern.
Davo

if you get another md, then you can breed them, and make a little money to pay for a darwin next year..

darwin can reach 9ft if i'm told right.. and can be a little grumpy..
i've got a darwin coming as my 1st python.. lol., jumping in at the deep end, but they are beautiful snakes

i have a darwin pair. if you look at some of my previous post you will get a slight idea of what they can be like. getting a darwin as your first.. i hope you are patient and don't expect to not be bitten. you learn to become very quick with them but they are great to look at. not had a md but they seem to be alot calmer. easy to keep. and never refuse a feed, ever.

I would go for the darwins. I keep about 10 and they are not that snappy

MD's are plain in colour, but are generally well mannered. Darwins on the other hand are nicely coloured, but in most cases should come with a packet of bandaids for the bite wounds. You need a snake that is nicely coloured and nice natured' and one that comes to mind with the best of both of the above pythons is a Bredli

i'm not worried about getting taged at all, i get more damage at work than a python could ever do with a bite..
stainless steel can be very sharp (train aircon units) and electricity packs a real big punch

back on the subject..have you thought about getting one of those platinums???

Hi. I've been bitten a few times by my MD, never by my Darwin. Of course this may be just due to the individual snakes. Everyone always seems to say Darwins are snappy, but I haven't found that with mine. The MD has bitten once out of aggression/fear (when young) and a couple of times as a feeding response when I was careless feeding. The Darwin is more flighty, but not aggressive at all. IMO both are great snakes.

well if convincing your mrs that you need 2 new snakes doesn't work now, i'd suggest buying the MD that way, you could breed them, which would take some time, mating, aging if needed, plus gestation and incubation etc. but, once you have babies, you'll have money plus you would have had time to convince her, from the hatchies, buy a Darwin, + maybe even a mate for it

Everyone always seems to say Darwins are snappy, but I haven't found that with mine.

Every Different Darwin i've held, (about 5 different Individual snakes) have been extremely placid, werent flighty or snappy, beautiful snakes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back