Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, Donellan was one of the researchers, there was three or four of them.

All he said about the Chondros - he was pretty sure they would be put back in Vhondropython again. He didn't say why, but I got the impression that the DNA was quite divergent from the other Morelias.

MrBredli: they were looking at the DNA only (which codes for physical characteristics, amongst everything else). They couldn't find enough variance to separate the different subspecies. DNA sequences were common to all forms of carpet, and to use his words "we could not use the DNA to predict skin patterns".

:p

HIx

MrBredl,

They can have exactly the same DNA but look completely different. Just like black/white H.sapiens. Hormones during development usually determine colour. The mother can also help determine colour as well as environment.

I don't know about that guys. I'm sure that DNA testing could differentiate between a person of black heritage and a person of white heritage. Isn't that right?

But blacks and whites aren't classified as different sub species, so i guess that in some way shows that different skin colour/pattern is not enough in itself to 'describe' a sub species.

Yes - but like you said, not by enough to name Black/white as different sub-species.

Even if they could do it, imagine if they classed blacks as a sub species of white or visa versa.
They would never do it.

donk

I don't look at skin colour in humans (which could be controlled by just one gene) as being the same as patterns in snakes (which is controlled by many different genes).

Instead, I would equate patterns in snakes with hair colour and hair shape in humans.

Remember, the pattern you see on a snake is on it's scales, not it's skin.

Hix

I was alos under the impression that this research also had Carianata as a distinct sub-species also.

Individuals have a DNA fingerprint that distinguishes them as an individual, they only vary at that level not at a species/sub species level.

I don't know about that guys. I'm sure that DNA testing could differentiate between a person of black heritage and a person of white heritage. Isn't that right?

But blacks and whites aren't classified as different sub species, so i guess that in some way shows that different skin colour/pattern is not enough in itself to 'describe' a sub species.

Morelia spilota spilota - diamond
Morelia spilota mcdowelli - coastal
Morelia spilota cheynei - jungle
Morelia spilota variegata - northwest
Morelia spilota metcalfei - murray darling
Morelia carinata - rough scale
Morelia imbricata - south west
Morelia viridis - green tree
Morelia bredli - centralian
Morelia amethistina - scrub
Morelia oenpelliensis - oenpelli rock
? - Gammon ranges - more closely related to metcalfei or imbricata?

So this is how it stands now?

Thats the simple way out :D

But if you have read all the post before, you Know its not that easy.....:D

I can't help wondering if a certain competition inspired this thread! :lol:

Morelia spilota spilota - diamond
Morelia spilota mcdowelli - coastal
Morelia spilota cheynei - jungle
Morelia spilota variegata - northwest
Morelia spilota metcalfei - murray darling
Morelia carinata - rough scale
Morelia imbricata - south west
Morelia viridis - green tree
Morelia bredli - centralian
Morelia amethistina - scrub
Morelia oenpelliensis - oenpelli rock
? - Gammon ranges - more closely related to metcalfei or imbricata?

So this is how it stands now?

Morelia amethistina was reclassified to Morelia kinghorni in recent years.

I can't help wondering if a certain competition inspired this thread! :lol:
Had that feeling myself, considering there is another thread asking Morelia Q's by anthony88. Just coincidence?:rolleyes:

Hey, it's not a bad thing :) Working hard is admirable, you wouldn't want me to decide who to give that Carpet to based on a mere lottery system, would you? :lol:

Wasn't saying it's a bad thing, just pmsl when I found the 2 threads. It's actually a good thing cause it gives you guys an indication of the interest. These 2 threads have mobs of posts and views....and there isn't any pics of albino's, morphs or freak's and as a bonus noone has sworn, fueded or had their post deleted, yet! [which is unusual for a popular thread] ; )

This thread was created before the announcement of the Competition (I think)

Hix

This thread was created before the announcement of the Competition (I think)

Hix
no it wasnt it says 1st post 26th/6 -same day as round 2 questions put up :D
I agree with choppy , I think its funny -good on him for trying to find things out though

Wasn't saying it's a bad thing, just pmsl when I found the 2 threads. It's actually a good thing cause it gives you guys an indication of the interest. These 2 threads have mobs of posts and views....and there isn't any pics of albino's, morphs or freak's and as a bonus noone has sworn, fueded or had their post deleted, yet! [which is unusual for a popular thread] ; )

I think it's funny that the threads have probably only made things worse for anyone trying to use them for their intended purpose :lol: I suppose most people haven't realised why the questions were being asked, so it's not surprising they went a little off topic :)

MrBredl,

They can have exactly the same DNA but look completely different. Just like black/white H.sapiens. Hormones during development usually determine colour. The mother can also help determine colour as well as environment.

This is just silly, skin colour at birth is purely genetic. Dna has the genetic code (recipe if u will) for the hormones which decide skin coulour. If u artificially insimnate an egg into an unrelated mother, the baby will have no distinguishing features of the surrogate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back