Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jan

Reaction score
Unreal:)
l keep a variety of reptiles, snakes and lizards...l also keep 4 garden skinks cause l think
they are pretty cute with their delicate features and all....anyhow one of them looked pretty
fat...really fat actually!! Today she laid 11 little pearls...cool or what!!
l couldnt believe my eyes....perfect mini eggs...l'm stoked!!
So here are some pics of the little beauty's......enjoy!!

Attachments

• Picture 095.jpg
    Picture 095.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 494
  • Picture 097.jpg
    Picture 097.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 361
  • Picture 101.jpg
    Picture 101.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 327
wow thats awesome :D

just wondering how much do they usally go for as hatchies?

thankya

I caught some having a romp at a mate's place one time right in the middle of a footpath.

That's a Weasel Skink, not a Garden Skink. You need a license to keep them... if you are keeping them legally, get in touch, I'd be interested in buying some!

Really??....a Weasel Skink...lve been searching the internet trying to identify her...with no luck!!
Are they common in Victoria? l found her in the garden a while back....under licence you say...mmm
better look into that one!!
Thanx Sdaji and all:)

can u keep them in click clacks with a heat cord for ever?
an how big they get?

Funnily enough I was just searching for skink posts. Lots of people have said kinks are great fun so I was looking at maybe getting some.

Yes, it's a Weasel Skink, Saproscincus mustelinus. They're one of the most common small skinks in urban Melbourne.

And yes, you're keeping them illegally! Oops! It's illegal to keep any reptile you catch (it's actually illegal to even touch or photograph them). They'd probably be worth a fair bit if they came with paperwork. A lot of people are after them, but of course, without paper they have no commercial value. Great little lizards, lots of fun :) I keep other small skinks and have always wanted to keep the Weasels :)

Yes, it's a Weasel Skink, Saproscincus mustelinus. They're one of the most common small skinks in urban Melbourne.

And yes, you're keeping them illegally! Oops! It's illegal to keep any reptile you catch (it's actually illegal to even touch or photograph them). They'd probably be worth a fair bit if they came with paperwork. A lot of people are after them, but of course, without paper they have no commercial value. Great little lizards, lots of fun :) I keep other small skinks and have always wanted to keep the Weasels :)

You seem to be the resident expert. What would you suggest as far as active engaging and entertaining small skinks go? And what are the requirements for enclosure?

Just looked up the skink l have, yes it is a Weasel skink...they are rarely seen from what l gather..they live
around the Gippsland area where l reside. Usually they only lay around 4 eggs so l guess 11 eggs is a good sign of a nice healthy specimen.

Turtle yes l keep her in a click clack with moist peat moss and leaf litter with a hide and water dish.
l dont use heat cord, they sit at "room temp" and they are pretty happy.
Make me laugh because they seem to look up when they are hungry, l think they know that food falls from
the sky!!
lm really looking forward to seeing the eggs hatch...lm sure they will be really petite litter critters!!:)

What would you suggest as far as active engaging and entertaining small skinks go? And what are the requirements for enclosure?
Alpine water skinks make a great display and are available if you do a bit of a search for them.
lol @ litter critter

i dont think national parks is gonna come bustin down your door and seize
illegaly aquired and exotic weasel skinks LOL

Viridae: Many of the small skinks are brilliant :) Robust Skinks are awesome, unfortunately they're not available in Victoria, although most of the people who keep "Regal-striped Skinks" there are actually keeping Robust Skinks under the wrong name. Regal-striped Skinks are also pretty cool :)

They're not so much my thing, but Ctenotus pantherinus can legally be kept in Victoria and they might be available from time to time. I'm sure I recall seeing some in Victorian collections. I love the Lampropholis skinks and Carlias. I'd love to get some Carlias, they make great captives, but unfortunately the only ones I've been able to buy have been poached, so I decided against it. I've bred consecutive generations of Lampropholis delicata and Lampropholis guichenoti, they're quite small, but full of character, amazingly so for such a tiny animal.

The Water Skinks are also brilliant, I've bred Eulamprus tympanum, they're full of character and can display extremely well if you set their enclosure up well. Being a water skink gives you the excuse to use a lot of water, plants, branches... you can make it look awesome, and with a carefully positioned basking lamp you can make them sit front and center, it looks great with them on a piece of wood over the water. If you want to go a bit further (I never have, but I've seen it done), you can have multiple spotlights aimed at different places and each skink will sit in a different spot, its own little territory.

All of the species I've mentioned are great feeders if they're captive bred, they'll run up to you for food and become very bold. They're very active which makes them great for display enclosures.

People often think I'm very strange or eccentric when I say I like the small skinks, or sometimes they probably just think I'm joking, but when people actually keep them, especially Garden Skinks, they quickly realise that they actually are very cool! They're brilliant little predators, somewhat reminiscent of an extremely fierce goanna, but on a tiny scale.

Time to pack my bags....of we go... just me and the Weasel...!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back