Natures Mouse Trap

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozzie Python

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
had this owl come pay me a visit last night sitting on the fence next to the bird aviary. my wife found a few gutted mice down the backyard a few days ago so i would say thats why the owl was hanging around, hopefully it hangs around a bit longer now we are coming into the cold weather.

I was quite amazed at how it was not concerned one bit with how close i got, i was standing about 1m from it and even hung around for me to do a lense change on the camera, unfortunately he flew off waiting for the second lense change, was hoping to get a few macro shots.

Last edited:
Tawny Frogmouth, he's a Nightjaw, not an owl :)

They're very cool birds, a lot more common than people think. They roost fairly low down during the day, I've seen people walk within a metre of them at eye level and not even see them they blend in that well.

They have a tendency to hang out in the middle of the road too, just sitting their waiting to get hit. Not very bright.

i swear they are fearless, about a year ago i posted a thread on here when i was walking in the hills with my partner one started to follow us then landed in a tree right infront of me i climbed up a rock and put my hand out and nearly reached it and it didnt flinch lol

there gorgeous! lucky u have one around ur place!

They're not big mice eaters. More into moths and other insects. They have a very soft beak and when they bite you it wraps around your finger like rubber. Very strange, but sharp at the tip. Beautiful birds.

Tawny Frogmouth, he's a Nightjaw, not an owl :) QUOTE]

Sorry, don't know my birds all that well, have to dig out my books. What are you doing out of bed this early and getting technical anyway?:shock:

They're not big mice eaters. More into moths and other insects. They have a very soft beak and when they bite you it wraps around your finger like rubber. Very strange, but sharp at the tip. Beautiful birds.

mmm, didn't know that, learn something everyday, wonder what has been eating mice in my backyard, my dogs would have swallowed them whole, and the neighbours cat wouldn't dare come into my yard again when the dogs are out.

either way, very nice "nightjaw", such a poser, is was waiting to get my face scratched off.

Mice and rats will eat other mice and rats that may be what did it.
Who knows, it may have been the tawny on a desperate night. Depends on the availability of insects I guess. I would have thought it would have swallowed them whole though.

Tawny Frogmouth, he's a Nightjaw, not an owl :)

They're very cool birds, a lot more common than people think. They roost fairly low down during the day, I've seen people walk within a metre of them at eye level and not even see them they blend in that well.

They have a tendency to hang out in the middle of the road too, just sitting their waiting to get hit. Not very bright.

yea we had one attack our cat the other night, came out and it was on the deck and our cat was trying to get inside hahahaha but it wasnt phased by us at all, i even patted it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back