New at this and need some advise :)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jodee

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

My 1yr old Spotted python (Antaresia Maculosa) arrived today. I have read so many conflicting opinions on just about every area of reptile care and was wondering if anyone here could help me out with some pesonla experience advise?

Firstly, I have both a heat mat & thermostat - or a infrared light available to use in my tank....which one is more reliable? I have the light on at the moment and it has one end at 33C and the other at 31C...is that too hot?
Also, until i can get to town (live out bush) can I use newspaper as a substrate over the heat mat, if I place a tile under and over the heat mat?

What is the lowest the tank can drop to at night?

Does anyone have handling tips for my snake....Is there a best way to pick them up...how often should I handle them, assuas I would like it to be comfortable with regular handling.

Given that it was frieghted to my place over night, how long should I leave it before trying to handle it?

So much I need to know...lol.

If some one could get back to me with some help or answers to my questions I would greatly appreciate it...a little overwhelmed and stressed that I am going to do something wrong and hurt my snake :-/

Thanks in advance,

Jodee :)

Using either heat source is fine, just remember depending on what thermostat you're using(pulse/dimming/on-off) globe life will vary from 3 - 6 months and will need replacing.

Your temp gradient is not big enough - hot end is fine, 32-34 is good, but your cool end should be around the 24-26 mark.
Overnight temps, you dont want to drop below the 20 mark ideally.

If you only got it yesterday give it a good week of just being completely left alone for it to settle into its surroundings. Completely left alone!

As for handling/picking up always make sure the bulk of the bosy is well supported, I always pick mine up about one third of its length behind the head and one third the length up from its tail. It's all about making it feel comfortable and safe.
Depending on its age and whether its previously been handled much, 10-15 minutes once every two or three days to begin with is good, keeps the snakes stress levels down, from there you can slowly build up to longer and more regular handling times...

Newspaper for a substrate is perfectly fine, just change it once a week or whenever it is soiled...

Last edited:
Oh thanks heaps Jacknifejimmy :)

My problem is that we put the globe on the side of the box in stead of facing it downward....we will change this, but need to let the snake settle first.

I have a towel over the glass front of the tank at the moment to let it calm down and settle, but will have to open the tank later to set up heat mat properly. Other than that, I intend to leave it until a day or two before it is due to feed - next ffed dat due on the 10th.

Are spotted pythons usually known for biting or being cranky....a few people have made the comment to me that they are a temperamental breed or just generall never happy with interaction??? The breeder told me it has never tried to strike and the breed in quite friendly....a little confused? lol

My spotted has only tried to tag me when I have startled it and once when I needed to upsize its food and she was hungry. Other than that she is beautiful and very easy going.

personally if you are using the heat mat I'd be tempted not to worry about the light until you can change it. Try leaving the light out and see how the temps go.

How big is your enclosure? Some pics would probably be good to post up of your set up. How old is the snake and how much was it handled by the breeder? All these things can make a difference to the advice you get.

View attachment 269349 This is my enclosure before fully set up. It is 100cm (L) x 40cm (H) x 40cm (W). Timber with glass front. I have a large basking rock, a long hollow log and water bowl in the enclosure for the snake. The snake is 12 months old and about 25 cm long - breeder said he use to handle it and it never tried to bite him. I am not using both together - but for the time being and using a light for a few days until I can get the heat mat and thermostat set up properly, due to being sent the wrong one in the first place :( i am just worried about the temps, i put the 50W infrared light back in so the temps werent so high, and it has made temps now sit at 29C but my problem is the other end is only 1-2C cooler. Will it be ok in these conditions for a couple of days or not?

Thanks for your help so far Gruni :)

Hi Jodee,

Your situation and set-up sounds just like mine lol. I got my first Spotted girl this week, with her set up, though mine also included a 25w heat cord. We looked through this site and found a great D.I.Y. piece about making a good basking rock, using routed wood and a piece of slate. I am using this as my primary heat source now, as it sits consistently at 31c. I actually disconnected the red heat lamp we ere given, which was on the thermostat, because the heat coil seems to do such a good job, so I connected that to the thermostat instead. The cool end of the enclosure is at 25c, with humidity of 45. My girl is really friendly and has been loved and well-handled by her previous owner from a young age. I can totally recommend them as a first snake :)

Ok,,,so just so I am getting it right...you use only the heat cord (25W) ...does it just lay on or under your substrate? I dont really know much about heat cords. Will they connect to a heat mat thermostate (one that has the dual plug - one for the device and one for the wall)?
Mine is still unsexed..I was told it is too young to sex, but it is about 10-12 months old?

Thanks for the reply by the way :)

The heat cord is laid within the routed grooves (approx 2 - 3cm apart and the depth of the thickness of the cord) of a piece of wood, which is the same size as the slate tile. The tile is then placed on top and it heats up very nicely. You really only need either a mat or a cord, not both. I am just using newspaper for "substrate", but when we build her new 4ft enclosure, I will be using shredded coir, which the heated slate thing will just sit on top of. Because the new enclosure will be larger, I might need to use the heat lamp as well then, but I will seek advice on that. Right now, my tank is only 80cm x 45cm x 50cm so the heat cord and tile is working just fine.

Your overall set up sounds fine Jodee. Temps around 29* would be fine for a few days. It may not be what others consider ideal but it is not 'cold' bearing in mind the climate range that Macs are found in. They are not uncommon in the New England area around Inverell and down the tablelands to Tamworth, so it doesn't require tropical temps.

I am on Coonabarabran Gruni, so the day temps here are pretty warm and should push the tank temps up a bit :)
Is it normal for the snake to remain coiled up in one spot when put in a new enclosure - it was freighted from Cowra so took over night to get here. I am thinking it is just a little scared and tired. Do you think wood shavings would be ok to use as a substrate?

Thanks for you help :)

Hey jodee i have a stimmy so pretty much the same.....my guy is around 9 months old and i have a click clack going to put him in his enclosure very very soon after i sort out the lighting issue... and for the snake to be coiled up is perfectly fine my snake did that for the first week or soo and once u leave it alone it started moving around and getting to know its enclosure. and what not my snake loves hiding during the day and comes out during the night his in a click clack at the moment... would love to see some pictures

i just wrote a massive post on another thread which is relevant to you, - woma python worries - read it!!

- - - Updated - - -

don't use sandalwood shavings - they are toxic.
I have tried many things but the best i have found is either :
woodchips - (specifically made for reptiles) easy to clean poop but doesn't absorb liquids well so use newspaper base or
ground coconut shells - absorbs fluids well but expensive and you lose lots cleaning it.
you could mix them but i have a natural enclosure and i like a neat look :(
Use carpet tiles for feeding so your snake doesn't eat bedding

- - - Updated - - -

having your snake too cold is not a big deal unless they are digesting. too hot (above 35 without escape) will kill them

Kritter crumble is a good substrate easy to spot clean and it looks great. It's available in a few different sizes from fine to course, it comes in 20L bags which is good value for money. Cost around $15-17 depending on the shop.

And it your snake decides to eat a little its non toxic and should pass through.

I still like my astroturf with newspaper under it. Looks tidy and easy to clean.

I'm using oz-pet kitty litter, which is recycled newspaper made into small pellets. Exactly the same as kritters krumble, just half the price.
Its good because I only need to do a full change once a month, just spot cleaning in the mean time...

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your advice. I am leaning towards one of 3 options for the flooring of the enclosure. i like the look of vinyl flooring or fake grass, but am not sure if i could use a heat mat if I chose to use either one of them? Other than that, i will go kritters crumble.

Gruni, do you use a heat mat under your astroturf? If not, is it possible?

- - - Updated - - -

Chris_brown...I started an album on my profile and uploaded a pic of my snake for you :)

Yes you put newspaper between the mat and the astro turf as it absorbs water spills etc. My heat mat is one designed to go externally under the tank but I know of others who have run it inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back