Newbie Gecko Question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foose

Reaction score
Greetings everyone I'm a newbie and this is my first post (I hope this is in the right section) :)

I'm from N.S.W and recently I've been doing a bit of reading and decided that I'd be really keen to keep a lizard, preferably an arboreal gecko species.
So my question is this:
Which species would everyone recommend for a beginner?
I'd prefer a hardy species, one that has a good temperament (as a species, I know this varies from individual to individual), is comfortable being handled, isn't a picky eater, grows to a decent size (preferably not a tiny guy) and will be happy living in what I think is a 60 x 45 x 60 cm (I need to double check the measurements) Exo Terra terrarium.

I've picked up 2 reflectors and the terrarium (above mentioned) recently that needs a few small repairs and so won't be looking to purchase the lizard until I've repaired the terrarium and kitted it out :p
Also if you could include a list of necessary equipment for each species that'd be brilliant so I can start putting together a list and looking at prices.

Hope to hear from you all soon!
Cheers!

Marbled geckos are a good species. They are hardy and can live in a tank the size you have. I don't think they are the best handlers though...

Golden tails are your best bet. Geckos don't like being handled and shouldn't unless you have to move them etc. Grab a book or two on them that'll be the most reliable source of info.

Good luck

Marble velvet gecko.
They are a big gecko, as far as gecko go and are hardy species.

Thanks for the advice guys, I really like the look of the golden tails. When I said I was after something I could handle I just meant something that won't have a heart attack when my hand's in the tank cleaning or doing maintenance or when myself or a vet is checking him over (should've been clearer). I will grab some books on the species and see what I can find, cheers guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back