Newbie help...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss_Kaos

Reaction score
yep, im a newbie. lets get past this and onto what everyone likes, namely the snakes.
what i would like to know is when i get a snake, what should i get, how much it will cost, how long it lives for, how big it gets, what size enclosure id need, any other species-specific requirements etc.
i have searched the net and have found a whole pile of confusion and conflicted data. i would really like some clear-cut help.
thanks in advance :)

Depending on what type of species you're after will depend on all of the above, I suggest you click on WIki on APS and then Species Profiles and have a quick read.

thanks, yeah. i was going for either an inland carpet or something smaller(but not much), and i havent found anything right in the middle, ie. not as big as even an inland but bigger than the childrens family.
any suggestions?

Stimson Python, they come in different locality and colours and only grow to a max of 1m

sorry about confusing everyone. im pretty sure i want an inland carpet. can anyone help me with my questions now ive defined them?

First thing first. Do you have a license?

I'd look for your local herp society and get along to a meeting, you can talk to people instead of post and wait. Go to a couple of pet shops that sell reptails ask questions. If you have any questions about what they say post back here.

Find a breeder and visit. Ask them questions. You can also get some realistic idea of the size you are looking at not just a pic on the net or in a book.

Buy some books.

Set yourself a budget and go nutts :D

thanks for the help. does anyone know respectable dealers in the easern suburbs of melbourne?

First thing first. Do you have a license?

I'd look for your local herp society and get along to a meeting, you can talk to people instead of post and wait. Go to a couple of pet shops that sell reptails ask questions. If you have any questions about what they say post back here.

Find a breeder and visit. Ask them questions. You can also get some realistic idea of the size you are looking at not just a pic on the net or in a book.

Buy some books.

Set yourself a budget and go nutts :D

Very good advice, but you lost me when you said ask at a pet shop, it’s the last place I would go;)

why not a pet shop? i mean, ive read a lot of articles, visited a lot of sites, id already seen the links given to me, and every one says not a pet shop. wow, now i really do feel stupid.

I go to a petshop for rodents, enclosures (I don't have a workshop and money saved on tools I get more snakes), heat mats, lights, etc...

Petshop I use the owner is also a member here and a breeder, although I'm yet to buy a reptile from him.

why not a pet shop? i mean, ive read a lot of articles, visited a lot of sites, id already seen the links given to me, and every one says not a pet shop. wow, now i really do feel stupid.
Sometimes a shop might sell a snake as something that it is not. IMO, sometimes breeders do this too. No fault of anybodies, they're just not sure of what they have sometimes. Wherever you go, ask LOTS of questions. You will probably get a billion diff answers but you'll find a common thread. Best bet is to buy a really informative book. Hope you work it out. P.S. Why not go for a nice jungle?:D:D:D

thanks guys :) im getting a hatchie coastal from a friend of a friend whos a breeder. i get it in about a month :D im really excited!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back