Reading and considering whether to keep an Antaresia

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neocaridina

AussiePythons Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now that I’ve retired and move to just south of the Gold Coast, I’ve started thinking about having a reptile in the house and considering the Antaresia group. Fascinated by the different varieties and appearances. Started by reading the Complete Children’s Python. But I’m still anxious about requirements for housing and care. I think I would like to start with something a few months old but concerned about how to get a steady supply of the different mice to feed the young snake. Also, I’d love to see how someone experienced houses the pythons from say three months old to adult. I know that the plastic storage boxes are useful for housing hatchlings but not sure about how to get the right light and possibly UVB through for basking and their metabolism. Essentially, I am hoping to find someone not too far away that I can visit and learn and ask all the questions that might seem simple and natural to experienced keepers. Actually seeing a setup would help as well. Anyway, I’ll keep reading and researching but meeting and seeing would be so much better before I get a licence or purchase my first critter.

there is too much to write so I will just address 1 of your queries, hatchies in tubs are kept warm by a heat mat or cable underneath. So no lights needed there, that will come with bigger enclosures

there is too much to write so I will just address 1 of your queries, hatchies in tubs are kept warm by a heat mat or cable underneath. So no lights needed there, that will come with bigger enclosures
Thanks! That does help. Young Antares species don't need radiant heat with light for growth and development, just a warm spot with heat underneath and correct tub ambient temperature. Just natural ambient lighting from a window from the other side of the room without cooking the contents in the tub. Otherwise, basking lights that I see are more for effect/decor and not necessary as they don't get the bone metabolic problems that dragons do. (Please correct me if I got that wrong)

I should have broken down the multiple questions I had into smaller sections and perhaps posted them in another section of the forums. Another question I had. As hatchlings usually eat lizards, small amphibians....it would be sensible for me to get a young python that the breeder has already habituated to eat small mice? Approximately what age would that snake be? And.... where do you obtain safely fresh frozen mice for feeding from? Sorry, the questions just multiply at this stage.

Sounds like you're overthinking it.

Hatchlings are established on thawed mice before being sold. You may find an unscrupulous seller who doesn't do this, but most people do the right thing and you can ask any seller to confirm this. If you don't trust them, go somewhere else. Few breeders still bother using frogs or lizards to start their hatchlings, I haven't done it since the mid 1990s (I still could if I wanted to, but I prefer to give them nothing but mice, and I have the knowledge and skills to do it, as most breeders do - we're a long way from the pioneering days of the 80s and 90s).

You don't need UV. I don't know any veteran or large scale Antaresia keepers who give them UV, it's just something pet shops like to push because they make more money selling you stuff than saying 'You don't need to buy anything'.

Setting up adults is the same as setting up hatchlings, just scaled up for size. They do best in basically a large hatchling plastic tub with floor heat. The only reason to give them anything else is aesthetics (for your viewing pleasure). Most veteran and large scale keepers house their adult Antaresia in plastic tubs with floor heat. It's cheapest, easiest and best for the snake, the only downside is that it doesn't look pretty to human eyes.

Antaresia are dead easy to keep happy and healthy. The main problems people have as long as they're not incredibly stupid is putting them in those expensive glass enclosures with top ventilation (even decades ago as a kid in the pioneering days I never used anything that bad!) because that's what the pet shops want to sell because they're profitable and pretty. It can be as cheap and easy or expensive and difficult/dysfunctional as you want it to be.

Great choice of snake! After decades of working with Colubrids, Elapids, Pythons, Vipers and others, Antaresia are right up with my absolute favourite snakes to work with. Brilliant first snake (they were mine too) and I don't think they'll ever fall from near the top of my list no matter what other snakes I work with.

Back