Olive Python or Water Python ?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha thanks man I definitely love my babies. All I need is an Aspidites and I'll have a complete set of Aussie species :p.
Yeah the dreads take either a lot of money or a very patient girlfriend to keep them maintained and you get the typical stereotypes (I fly between Sydney and Qld every week and get stopped for the drug/explosive test every time) but it's worth it :).

haha, atleast you can say you stand out lol. and im hoping to go Aspidites next but at the moment my moneys going towards a custom enclousure for my jungle and my bredli (2 in one, stacked) to save space :D

Olive python everyday of the week.

Dont get me wrong blakehose, I love olives in the bush, I just dont play with them unless necessary. I'll still take a close encounter with a wild wp when I meet them in a waterhole. They dont mind contact if it's gentle but if you startle them they have the same set of recurved teeth as the olive and they're just as difficult to dislodge.

Ever met one?

I've heard when you get a cranky Liasis it's one of the worst bites. Is that why - the teeth shape?

So water pythons are known for better temperment? i had it in my head it was the other way round. im not sure where i got that from though.

I've heard NT Waters are the bad tempered ones but like everything it's probably more down to the individual snake. Mine is fine if it's just me but if someone else is even in the room she's terrible

depends on locality of waters, all the NT waters i have had are nutters and all the Qld waters i have had are placid

Ahh ok, do the NT's and QLDs look particularly diffrent? being a patternless snake i find this hard to imagine lol

Thanks guys for the replies as i do want a large snake and its hard to decide which one as i have heard olives are more docile than water pythons but one concern was about the SA guy as mentioned earlier on the thread but i do have a housemate around. I would like to get one and then eventually prepare everything and get the other

will be buying small freezer from the good guys to keep food in as other freezer has not enough space in it

Cheers Matt

I was seriously considering getting into Olives (granites) but now I'm having to do a rethink. I'm only a small petite woman and Olives are huge (they are Australia's second largest python)..If I got wrapped up I'm toast.
Nothing..and I do mean NOTHING could convince me that getting a scrub python would be a good idea. No, sorry my sense of self preservation is far too high.

I have both, they're young at the moment so they're not very big. I'd put off on getting a water python because I'd heard many people say they're psychotic, but I held one in a shop once, and she had a good nature so she came home with me. Not sure how old she is, but must be young, very small. My Olive has a placid nature, which I'll appreciate more when he's an adult :) Maybe starting with a water python and then getting an olive later if you'd still like to do so would be an idea?

Dont get me wrong blakehose, I love olives in the bush, I just dont play with them unless necessary. I'll still take a close encounter with a wild wp when I meet them in a waterhole. They dont mind contact if it's gentle but if you startle them they have the same set of recurved teeth as the olive and they're just as difficult to dislodge.

Ever met one?

Can't say I have, but I know that the temperement of wild animals is very variable. I still really like Water pythons, though having owned Olives, I can vouch for the fact that they are simply awesome animals to own. I intend to get another very soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back