Opinion needed

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Slateman

I received this from member who need opinion from others.

Hi Slateman
i am hopefully about to become an owner of my first snake/python, what can you tell me about the carpet pythons you have, how are they with being handled, and i will also mention, i have 2 kids at home ages 6 and 4, and as much as i will be keeping them away from the new family member, i know they will show some interest.
if these are not the snakes for me, what can you recommend
thanks

Just my opinions, may be all kinds of inaccurate. :)
First snake, a morelia is often a good choice; depending on what sort. Murray Darling carpet pythons can't be beaten for markings, temperament AND hardiness; they're very forgiving of first-timer mistakes, and they can be bought quite cheaply at the moment with all the breeders around. Bredlii too, I understand, but don't know much about that breed.
Diamond pythons are beautiful, beautiful snakes and usually very placid in nature, but can be hit and miss with their health (my first snakes; now thriving at 7 years old, but retrospectively I would have picked something else). Jungle pythons can be wonderful, but possibly not with small children around; scrubbies probably not ideal with children either.

Murray Darling would be my suggestion for the member's situation, but it really depends on whether she's after something a bit speccier looking.

also it is worth remembering if the snake is bought when it is a baby, by the time it has any real size that would be hard for a 4 year old to deal with.... They will both be alot older. So you probably wouldn't have to worry about the size of a diamond or carpet.

Carpets are a good first snake, however i would advise the member that most hatchies can be snappy and/or unpredictable but it usually depends on the individual snake itself.
Not to let the kids get too close or handle it while its still a hatchy, as you would be surprised how far and fast they can strike when get your first snake. This is for the snakes safety as well as the kids

Diamonds, Coastals, Bredlis and most Antaresia are usually the first snake choice ive noticed.
At the end of the day it depends on what the member likes personally and to find a breeder that will let them have a proper look at the available snakes and find one thats not too jumpy and snappy.

Is that helping?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back