Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe Gordo was right after all - I hear whispers of 4 specimens being captured....

Maybe Gordo was right after all - I hear whispers of 4 specimens being captured....

Can you shed some light for those of us that are still in the dark? I am fascinated by new species and have google alerts etc, but have heard nothing. Any details however brief would be appreciated.

I believe one out of the four was pickled by the W.A Museum?

Possibly, sounds as though the Adelaide Zoo now has their share of them.

Garthy- From what I know, there was a planned expedition of herpetologists, biologists etc, though the DEC got in first and captured 4 specimens... My knowledge is limited though and would be better if another source could give accurate info.

Hopefully a specimen is captured soon, it will be interesting to find out how they compare to the Coastals and Inlands.

Hopefully not. It'll only get killed, just like the first one.

I just find it ludicrous in this day and age with all the technology at our fingertips and we have to kill something to study it! Absolutely appaulling! It might have been okay to do 50yrs ago, but not now. God help any other "new" animals we find out there, because they're in for a rude shock.

ps: I wasn't aware they'd found more of them. At least that's something

Last edited:
Hopefully not. It'll only get killed, just like the first one.

I just find it ludicrous in this day and age with all the technology at our fingertips and we have to kill something to study it! Absolutely appaulling! It might have been okay to do 50yrs ago, but not now. God help any other "new" animals we find out there, because they're in for a rude shock.

ps: I wasn't aware they'd found more of them. At least that's something

I would definitely hope that in this day and age, we are far past those sort of practises. Taking into consideration the advances in technology in recent years - testing and research should be achievable without culling the animals.

What else are you going to use as a holotype?

It's a single animal that allows for a huge ammount of research. At worst you could call it a necesary evil.

I would definitely hope that in this day and age, we are far past those sort of practises. Taking into consideration the advances in technology in recent years - testing and research should be achievable without culling the animals.

It's a single animal that allows for a huge ammount of research. At worst you could call it a necesary evil.

Well I don't know jack-all about research/testing on these animals - so I apologise for my ignorance..

It is absolutely essential that native animals are lodged in museums, and not just one or two, but several from many different localities. For nearly every species this will have no negative effects on their population, but will assist in many different areas of conservation, especially taxonomy. Without dead animals in jars, it would be very difficult to describe new species (or assimilate identical ones), track distribution expansion or contraction (or extinction), or monitor morphological changes over time.

It is absolutely essential that native animals are lodged in museums, and not just one or two, but several from many different localities. For nearly every species this will have no negative effects on their population, but will assist in many different areas of conservation, especially taxonomy. Without dead animals in jars, it would be very difficult to describe new species (or assimilate identical ones), track distribution expansion or contraction (or extinction), or monitor morphological changes over time.

Now it all makes alot more sense - I was thinking about it on much more shallow grounds than that...
Thanks for the input Jonno

I call it pretty crap :)

So we've got to kill another 5 Temporalis to get the collectors box set?

I hope we've got a few more than 5 Tasmanian tigers in museums around the place, because if we don't the next one spotted wandering out of the woods is a dead duck! :lol:

Perhaps we should be taking the approach of asking questions first before shooting, instead of visa-versa. I dare say there is more to be learnt from a live animal than a dead one! Such a backward turn-of-the-century mentality! Thank heavens doctors have moved on with the times otherwise we'd still be swigging whiskey before amputations! :lol:

Just imagine what paleontologists would give to get their hands on a real live dinosaur!...my guess is he'd argue to the death that it'd far more valuable alive! ;)

I'm not, and never will be, sold on the let's kill everything new we find mentality. Such a waste!

Just imagine what palaeontologists would give to get their hands on a real live dinosaur!...my guess is he'd argue to the death that it'd far more valuable alive! ;)

They would probably kill it too so that it matched the rest of their collection... plus they've probably learnt their lesson from that Jurassic Park experiment :)

They would probably kill it too so that it matched the rest of their collection... plus they've probably learnt their lesson from that Jurassic Park experiment :)

Yeah that one definitely didn't go quite to plan eh?

Each to there own. But you do realize that if it wasn't for the temporalis holotype this species wouldn't have been described for us to argue over wether it should have been killed or not?

Besides, take an animal out of the environment, wether it is dead or alive makes no difference. It can no longer contribute in a natural way to biodiversity.

So we've got to kill another 5 Temporalis to get the collectors box set?

I hope we've got a few more than 5 Tasmanian tigers in museums around the place, because if we don't the next one spotted wandering out of the woods is a dead duck! :lol:

Perhaps we should be taking the approach of asking questions first before shooting, instead of visa-versa. I dare say there is more to be learnt from a live animal than a dead one! Such a backward turn-of-the-century mentality! Thank heavens doctors have moved on with the times otherwise we'd still be swigging whiskey before amputations! :lol:

Just imagine what paleontologists would give to get their hands on a real live dinosaur!...my guess is he'd argue to the death that it'd far more valuable alive! ;)

I'm not, and never will be, sold on the let's kill everything new we find mentality. Such a waste!

The first one found and used to describe the species is the holotype I think. The subsequent specimens used to confirm the taxon are the paratype.
Correct me if needs be.

Each to there own. But you do realize that if it wasn't for the temporalis holotype this species wouldn't have been described for us to argue over wether it should have been killed or not?

Besides, take an animal out of the environment, wether it is dead or alive makes no difference. It can no longer contribute in a natural way to biodiversity.

Now that is a very valid point!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back