Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snakehunter

Reaction score
Just exploring the idea of getting some pale-heads.
Anyone know what the general price is for these guys?
Temperament in captivity?
any husbandry info would be good
how serious would a bite be?
cheers

Hi Mate, I have tracked some of these down. But too bad their MINE :p.

I am paying 350 for subadults. This seems to be the average price...
Not sure on their husbandry info.. ask me in 6months lol.

A bite would be serious enough to go to hospital. If you didnt go, you would be an idiot. All three Hoplocephalus are considered highly venomous. A friend was bitten by one of his and he experienced extremely severe local pain and was a very sick boy for quite a few days afterwards. He has been bitten by browns and death adders and says the pale headed bite was the worst he ever had!!

I hope you get these guys man, they are by far one of the coolest snakes.

Arboreal elapids. *drools*

Arboreal elapids. *drools*

Have you seen other Australian elapids climb? I've been suprised a few times by wild tiger snakes up in bushes, vines and trees, not more than 5 foot off the ground, but still climbing.

Oops.

First I ever saw was a 3ft Kingbrown 4m up in a tree. Freaky that was.

I have seen taipans in trees too.

I have seen captive Western Browns spend all day in their branches as well

Yeah, captive elapids do all sorts of stupid things :)

I had a feeling coastal taipans might climb a bit, not sure why. A mulga up a tree sounds really weird.

So Brodie, is that what your paying with to get your pale-headeds. Not the 350 like you said before. :lol:

The Taipans at Manly Oceanworld (can't remember which species) spent all day in the branches climbing on the day I was there.

Simon Archibald

For people not able to follow the thread the three speicec of hoplo are

Pale headed snake (Hoplocephalus bitorquatus)
Stephen's banded snake (Hoplocephalus stephensi)
Broad headed snake (Hoplocephalus bungaroides)

All of them are beautiful snakes

Snake hunter good choice for the new addition.

The venom of the pale headed snake is neurotoxic but not a whole lot is known about the effects on humans...... supposedly it the bite can be quite bad and usually tiger snake antivenom is used in the case of a bite.

As far as husbandry goes wouldnt have a clue dont know of anyone down this way keeping them

Take care
Matt

Yeah, captive elapids do all sorts of stupid things :)

yeah, afew werent ment to climb trees. when i was with brodie at the territory wildlife park the large king brown had died from falling from the top of its cage :(

I have a friend with 2 pale headeds, he copped a nick on the knuckle and was in hospital for 3 days sick as a dog under observation.

They will be ready for breeding next year. And from what he said he will most likely sell for $200 a pop just to get rid of them.

Cheers, Alan.

I came across a Stephens banded snake the last time I was in the Lamington National Park. Great big fella this one was too :D We kinda bumped into each other at very close range whilst I was sitting near a stream. I heard a movement of leaves behind me and here he/she was - I think we were both a little startled :shock: :lol:

Moosey said:
...I think we were both a little startled.

I'd be more than a little startled if you look anything like your avatar Moose!

:p

Hix

snakehunter said:
Just exploring the idea of getting some pale-heads.
Anyone know what the general price is for these guys?
Temperament in captivity?
any husbandry info would be good
how serious would a bite be?
cheers

Price for a juvenile would usually be $150 to $250 while the price of adults is usually $300 to $400. They are often aggresive in captivity and not too difficult to get feeding on rodents. They do well in a high enclosure and spend most of the night climbing through branches. A bite from one of these would be very painful, not lethal but probably has the potential to make you rather sick.

Daniel

RE: Re: Pale-headed snakes

i know a guy that breeds them pm me for his details

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back