Peer to Peer Laws - becoming highly restrictive!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slim6y

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
It appears as of September 1st this year (in 18 days from time of posting) NZ will be attempting to stop P2P traffic.

Has Australia begun to do something similar?

The copyright material owners will be able to track the IP addresses of the infringers and the then ISP will send a notice... Then a second notice and a third one - this will result (ultimately) in a $15,000 fine and a loss of internet for 6 months...

That's the nuts and bolts of it...

This was posted in April Internet law change not an idle threat | Stuff.co.nz

This is the proposal http://www.med.govt.nz/upload/77275/p2p.pdf which most has been accepted as far as I am aware.

New Zealand Parliament Passes Piracy Bill | Bans P2P File Sharing | Bestvpnservice.com's Blog

It appears NZ may be leading the way in going backwards...

Here's my two cents worth:

1) It still is illegal to video record from the TV - yet that remains unmonitored. In fact, you can still buy new fan dangled equipment to record onto hard drives and new TVs to accept USB devices that can easily transmit downloaded/recorded programs.

2) It is illegal to share copyrighted material - therefore it is up to the copyright holders to enforce this - and they should do it digitally - in other words they can (and there are ways) use preventative measures rather than fines.

3) It may be illegal - so provide ways of LEGALLY obtaining television programs and movies at a reasonable rate!

If you're that keen on watching a program or movie, BUY IT!

That's where the profiteering television and movie magnates need to come to the party and provide accessible, cheap and reliable downloads!

It won't be long (if this is a success) that Australia and the US will follow... Then P2P will be very different.

Sounds like the "Hadopi Law" in France. Here is a story on how they are faring with it: BBC News - French pirates 'dodge' tough laws

I'd be inclined to agree with your suggestions Slim. For example: took the family to see the last Harry Potter. We went to the 2D version, still cost us over $100. I don't know about you, but the thought of dropping a hundred bucks on something that may or may not be utter crap is a dicey proposition.

The music industry is much the same. In the era before music downloads were a reality, you had to go shell out $20 for a CD, usually to find you had 2 great songs and 10 dogs. Not exactly great value for money if you ask me. Setting up something like Itunes for all other content, TV shows, movies, etc, and charging REASONABLE rates, would go a long way to correcting the problem. Legislating, criminally charging, and bankrupting the citizenry is not the way to go IMO.

Great link S_W - "Overall, found the study, illegal behaviour has increased by 3% since the law was passed."

From what I gather - downloading may not be monitored in NZ - instead 'sharing' will be monitored.

Though I'm all for the movies being available at reasonable prices...

There is no reason why Tom Cruise needs to earn $15million for a movie... It's all utter greed and now they want the user to pay even more!

Tis' a cryin' shame!

There is a way around their blocks and the pirates will always find another way should the one they're using become policed. Just a waste of money and time implementing p2p laws from that standpoint.

Yeh, the adversarial approach just doesn't work. They seem to have given up on DRM protection (I don't blame them, it was useless and annoying), now they are attempting legislation, which just chuffs people more. Getting around any system is childs play to those who want to. If they'd stop being greedy and and amuse us for a fair price, I bet that would improve sales dramatically!

If they'd stop being greedy and and amuse us for a fair price, I bet that would improve sales dramatically!

Sorry to digress but that, right there, cracked me up. It's enough to make me want a signature lol.

That's the point though isn't it? Amusement is a luxury that humans have turned into a right. On the one hand I'm thinking just entertain yourself and it'll be far cheaper (not to mention if everyone did it for a while it would play havoc on the market), but on the other they're not selling anything in particular. I can't eat a movie or clothe myself with a song, it's extended emotion and they're profiting from our seemingly manic need to be amused. Feels a bit pointless doesn't it, suddenly realising that the general public have become, by and large, pure consumers.

Apparently there's a way they can get around the anonymizer - or are they just saying that?

Apparently there's a way they can get around the anonymizer - or are they just saying that?
when combined with a VPN it would be very difficult to monitor without placing something on the end-user computer. I've used VPNs extensibility when I developed medical applications. Basically the law is to appease the ignorant, it will catch one or two who couldn't be bothered to learn how to bypass.
Internet censorship in the People's Republic of China - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Virtual private network - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
7 VPN Services To Anonymize Your P2P/Torrent Traffic

Sorry to digress but that, right there, cracked me up. It's enough to make me want a signature lol.

That's the point though isn't it? Amusement is a luxury that humans have turned into a right. On the one hand I'm thinking just entertain yourself and it'll be far cheaper (not to mention if everyone did it for a while it would play havoc on the market), but on the other they're not selling anything in particular. I can't eat a movie or clothe myself with a song, it's extended emotion and they're profiting from our seemingly manic need to be amused. Feels a bit pointless doesn't it, suddenly realising that the general public have become, by and large, pure consumers.

Yeh, the problem is circular. One could probably argue that consumerism has become almost a genetic problem for our species. As 'they' continue to pump the masses full of visual opiates, then jack up the prices (a classic tactic among drug dealers) it would stand to reason that people who need their fix will seek out a cheaper supply, ie P2P. The simplest solution is to make this opiate more affordable, and the majority of honest people would likely discontinue "stealing" content, and return to paying for it. The demand is there, 'they' just need to loosen up on the price of the supply.

On the other hand, the 'solution' i've presented is a classic bandage on a broken leg. The problem is societal, so while it may help reduce instances of 'stealing' content, it does nothing to address the broader problems related to society's general greed, laziness, "quick fix" mentality etc. As has been said, as far as the example of file sharing goes, they can criminalize it if they want, and waste tax dollars turning high school kids into 'felons', doesn't change the fact that whatever system they try to use to control P2P networks, has ALREADY been broken.

P2P people will simply start using encryption, the government has to hack the encryption key (this is illegal) for them to discover if your transferring copyright protected data, and once the government breaks the law to catch you then you cant be caught dun dun daaa

and for every smart monitoring stuff people come up with other people will come up with smart ways of avoiding detection.

the only real answer to the issue is for the Movie industry to come out of the stone age and get with the digital times. TV and Music have started realizing this and offering things digitally and just look at the gaming world IE steam, you can buy any game you want with out even going to a shop.

im not saying its easy to do or cheap but its the smart thing to do and the only real way to go forward, the legal action and legislation action being taken by the movie companies is simply them urinating into the wind

Last edited:
Everything will be illegal soon... you won't be able to tie your damn shoe laces with out being given a fine for bending over too far.

P2P's will advance and people will figure out how to go around the laws. At the end of the day.... who cares? (expect the multi billion dollar companies which loose several million a day hahaha)

There is no reason why Tom Cruise needs to earn $15million for a movie... It's all utter greed and now they want the user to pay even more!

Tis' a cryin' shame!

The reason he gets that much is because he puts bums on seats. If a movie star getting paid that much is a problem for you don't go to the movies, eventually demand will drop and they can't command that much.

but hey if you don't go to the movies they will stop movies them, then what people people illegally download.

The problem appears to be the 'upload' side of things - not the download.

It appears the way they monitor is through the uploads from your computer to get your IP address.

So if you find a way to stop uploads (surely some P2P programs have 0 uploads available) - I realise that defeats the purpose of P2P - but while USA, UK, Aus, Canada etc don't have this law - downloading isn't impossible! Just uploading from NZ! But mostly we're so far from the server that it's too slow to up from us!!!

Can someone tell me of a torrent client where you can disable sharing (I know, it does defeat the purpose - but it's a way...)

Last edited:
any half decent torrent client has the function to limit both upload and download rates the mitigating factor is the user
Yeah I thought it was a pretty standard function, but they are the only ones that I can say for sure as I haven't used any others

any half decent torrent client has the function to limit both upload and download rates the mitigating factor is the user

BitTorrent is fully decent - yet it fails to meet the requirement of limiting uploads to zero... Despite my best efforts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back