pygmy python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

the_brad

Reaction score
in an early thread someone was saying that pygmy pythons go for about $1000 to $1500! do you think that would be about right?
And does any one here have any experience with them? or seen them advertised before?

Prices about right Brad, availablity is the problem - small clutches and very few breeding animals in the system. Can't be legally collected in WA.

Jamie.

I have heard the reason there arent that many here is that they are very hard to keep......only eat skinks?? Is that right?

Not sure if it's right but I have also heard thay rosemary, I guess they would be too small as hatchies to eat anything else??

Jamie, do you no there exact locality? is it only WA or do they span across the border?

They have a fairly wide distribution in NW WA, and I have heard there are some in the NT, but have never had that confirmed. They are quite common in parts of their range in WA. Adults take mice without problems, but the very young hatchies are too small to even take pinks a lot of the time, so CALM considered them unsuitable for the trade in WA because they mostly need to be fed skinks, which are also protected.

They be raised on a careful force-feeding of mouse tails until they are large enough to take pink mice though, if you know what you're doing.

Jamie.

i want 1 they stay sooo little there hole life i think there only WA

they are very common in parts of their range, and alot more common in captivity than people think, they only have small clutches and most that are bred go to friends and aquiantances etc, so very few go up for sale to the general public.
they still go for $1000 ea which i recon is absurd. Personally i wouldnt pay $500 for 1. But thats just me as i think they are boring little things.

wasnt there a guy from the US on the board who had two hatchy pygmy pythons, was feeding them pinky mice heads, some seriously small snakes.

andrew

there was one on rdu for sale for $1400, like rob said they are quite a few in captivity, most people put them down as ''childreni''

I have seen some ****ty coloured ones but i have seen one absolute cracker, very orange i wouldnt mind one or two of the orange ones

nick

The problem, as Nick says, is that not a lot of them are listed on licences as A. perthensis, because of the difficulty of getting them via legal sources...

J.

it would be interesting to see who does have them!
Ide like to see some colour variations

not naming names but i think r0b also would of seen the sam orange perthensis when he lived down here

nick

A. Perthensis can occasionally be mistaken for the chldreni when kept in captivity as they have tended to lose their colouring when kept in captivity. They are generally a hardy snake when established similar to any of the childreni type pythons. They breed generally around 3 eggs at a time, hence it makes them harder to come by.

They can be fed pinkies as adults but require to be fed with small skinks or fed with mouse parts. The hatchlings apparently also feed on small ee-like creatures from what i've heard. IMO this could be mimicked by feeding them black kuhli loaches which are similar and a dime a dozen.

Yes they are expensive ($1000 -$1500 has been the advertised price) and there are a few that are for sale on occassion. I have been trying to get one for some time. There are a few people that keep and sell them. Guys in the Pilbara which collect snakes find them to be a nuisance at times on their expiditions as they can be quite prolific in their locality, but cannot be collected.

I know in NSW you can keep them on a Basic licence, but other states like Vic, they are completely forbidden.

There is a site with some photos - www.tinypythons.com

thats fair enough nick,
i wounder if Dave (PP) has any pics he could post

I hope he doesn't mind me posting this. This photo has been used on this site and belongs to member westaussie! It's a nice pygmy, I have it on my desktop background.

I'm currently drawing up a plan to do my PHD on these little beauties. I have a pair of hatchies on the way this season, costing me $1500 each. I reckon they are worth every penny.

Where are you getting yours from hazzard cos I'm very interested if they've got any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back