Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

natrix

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I was browsing through a book on aussie snakes today & noticing all the amazing elapids we have & it made me wonder why I don't see more of them on here , why is it always the same 4 or 5 elapids that seem to be kept ?

yea the Bardick is cool . i was also liking the 'Masters snake' & the unbanded variation of the
'Stephen's Banded snake' .

They're available if you know the right people. They aren't prolific breeders, usually hard to get onto rodents and they sell without being publicly advertised. Most are boring captives to general herpers.

I think it comes down to willingness to accept rodents as a food source aswell as number held in captivity. For most people force/assist feeding tiny Elapids isnt a hell of a lot of fun. Theres plenty of Elapids that arent kept purely due to the fact that none have been legally harvested for the 'pet' trade.

Cheers
Jordan

In victoria it's only the more common species that seem to be on the "list",and if it's not on the list you can't keep it.

pale headed snake

here is a pic of a pale headed snake i just recently purchased . She had to be assist fed. Now she eats on her own. View attachment 38820
This picture was taken a few months ago. not the best pic sorry.
cheers steve

Last edited:
I have wanted to get into elapids... I was in possesion of a red belly black snake <yearling for a couple of days (unsuitable for release) and it was a nice snake I thought more active/courious I never free handled it but i tailed it with a hook and it didnt seem to mind

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back