Rat substrate

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rats can live on anything, but they thrive better on more suitable substrate like breeders choice, wood shavings or sugar cane mulch. We used all if these, they breed the best on sugar cane. It's quit dusty so some people will say its not good for them and some will say its good

I'd say no to sugar cane. To dusty and causes to much Respritory problems. Try a chaff. I prefer Lucerne Chaff the most! The rats love it and it hides the ammonia smell so you don't have to do daily cleans. I now only do weekly cleans instead of everyday cleans on newspaper (After a week Lucerne starts getting smelly :p) Also I had rats with respritory issues before and when I switched to chaff I saw a BIG improvement! You can buy it from fodder stores :D It think it is about 20kg for $20 where I go :)

I'd say no to sugar cane.
I disagree and use SC exclusively. Since the Hisorb shortage forced me to find alternatives I started on SC and haven't gone back. Also there is no sneezing in the rat cave anymore, this was a constant sound during my Hysorb days. Note that there is SC and there is SC, Big cane country brand is coarser and almost dust free.

I disagree and use SC exclusively. Since the Hisorb shortage forced me to find alternatives I started on SC and haven't gone back. Also there is no sneezing in the rat cave anymore, this was a constant sound during my Hysorb days. Note that there is SC and there is SC, Big cane country brand is coarser and almost dust free.

The SC I bought was extremely dusty. It was terrible. Gave nearly all my rats Respritory or eye problems :( That's the only reason I didn't recommend it but it must have just been supplier >.< I find chaff works for me...that just my opinion.

The SC I bought was extremely dusty.
One of the first bags I brought was ridiculously dusty so I can understand your point of view. I prefer the big cane as ( so far ) it has had very little dust.

I find chaff works for me...that just my opinion.
If it works for you, then it works for you. End of story! I might price Lucerne Chaff and give it a try. It will get bonus points if it is cheaper.

I now use lucerne chaff and am cleaning my rats out only one third as often as I was before, and there is no ammonia build up. Everyone on the rat forum is swapping over to it and raving about it, including me. I'm even using it for kitty litter now!

Dust and ammonia build up are the enemy of rat respiratory systems. The chaff is superior at keeping these to a minimum.
Sugar cane mulch was OK, but just got gross with the rat pee build up. It really stinks compared to the lucerne chaff, over time.

I find that sugarcane mulch is not very absorbent and the brand I have used is quite dusty.

Where do you buy Lucerne chaff?

Yeah just give it a go and see how you like it, for rats, mice, and kitty litter :p

I use wood shavings, straight from a furniture maker that only uses solid timber costs me noting and have no problems with rats breeding.

It isn't really an issue of whether they breed or not :p Just how stinky they get and how often I have to clean them out! Having several hundred of them living in my garage, which is inside my house, I want something really good and not too time consuming.

They seem to of ate all the paper ? Do yours do the same thing ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back