Substrate woes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mack86

Reaction score
I have an 18month old stimsons python who I've just changed to substrate from paper towel for the first time since getting him from the pet shop.

Firstly, my reasons for doing this simply come down to cleaning. As he is quite big now, so too are his poos and I was finding I was having to change out just about all the paper towel each time which meant it was quite disruptive for him having to get him out of his enclosure entirely while I do that.

One thing I've noticed is that it's fairly moist substrate and there was no instructions to let the substrate to dry out or anything. It even made condensation on the inside of my snakes hide- not that he was bothered.

My concern now is scale rot..how is sitting on moist substrate day in, day out going to be beneficial for him? Is this how it's supposed to feel and am I overthinking it?

I've attached a picture of the substrate I'm using.

Any words of advise or reassurance would be appreciated!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230618-151722.png
    Screenshot_20230618-151722.png
    535.9 KB · Views: 0
Any ideas on how to stop this happening in his hot hide? You can see condensation building.

Also the substrate doesn't seem moist like it was yesterday... Still would like to know if condensation in his hot hide is okay or if it's something I need to address.

Attachments

• PXL_20230618_221250609.jpg
    PXL_20230618_221250609.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back