Rat substrate

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I now use lucerne chaff and am cleaning my rats out only one third as often as I was before, and there is no ammonia build up. Everyone on the rat forum is swapping over to it and raving about it, including me. I'm even using it for kitty litter now!

Dust and ammonia build up are the enemy of rat respiratory systems. The chaff is superior at keeping these to a minimum.
Sugar cane mulch was OK, but just got gross with the rat pee build up. It really stinks compared to the lucerne chaff, over time.

Does it have to be lucerne chaff? My only reason for asking being the cost, as I am not sure if lucerne chaff is the most expensive out of all the chaffs or if all the types of chaffs are the same price?

Does it have to be lucerne chaff? My only reason for asking being the cost, as I am not sure if lucerne chaff is the most expensive out of all the chaffs or if all the types of chaffs are the same price?
Lucerne chaff is the more expensive chaff around but at about $15 a bale it is cheaper than wood shavings.

This is virtually a pet forum, and l can't believe anybody would entertain the idea of keeping rats on sand but love the way the thread has turned out, like a previous post l use wood shavings from a furniture maker but put several thicknesses of newspaper in 1st as it does help a bit with dryness but the females love to shred it for nest material even though they have very light wood shavings the other thing l swear by is 3 litre pineapple/beetroot tins for nesting sites although my tubs are 220 litre in size ( approx.900x700x600)....solar 17 (Baden)

I have tried oaten and wheaten chaff a long time ago and found it terrible. Whatever it is that makes the lucerne chaff good, the other chaff's do not possess the same qualities. I also sprinkle a generous amount of bi carb soda on the bottom of my tubs before I put the chaff in, and it works wonders. You can buy it in bulk at produce stores, significantly cheaper than at the supermarket. If anyone is having issues with the smell of their breeding rats if you keep them inside, bi carb would be really great for you to try, regardless of the substrate you want to use. :D

Also if you shop around with chaff, you may find a good deal. Usually 1.5 bales goes into a big hessian bag of it, and so far one bag has lasted me nearly a month, and I still have more than half left, with around 30 tubs. The big bales of shavings work out cheaper, depending on how often you clean (I was cleaning really often so using a lot), but I like that I have to do less work, and I value my time more than the extra bit of money.

I was thinking of trialling a bit of shavings and lucerne chaff mixed together, as the shavings are superior for absorbing, while the lucerne is great for breaking down odour.

Last edited:
This is virtually a pet forum, and l can't believe anybody would entertain the idea of keeping rats on sand but love the way the thread has turned out, like a previous post l use wood shavings from a furniture maker but put several thicknesses of newspaper in 1st as it does help a bit with dryness but the females love to shred it for nest material even though they have very light wood shavings the other thing l swear by is 3 litre pineapple/beetroot tins for nesting sites although my tubs are 220 litre in size ( approx.900x700x600)....solar 17 (Baden)

That is great because you get to eat the pineapple as well as getting a free hiding spot for the rats :p I put short lengths of PVC pipe in all my tubs in the rack, for rats to sleep in and mums to have babies in. It gives them something to climb on as well, to make the most of the space they have. In my giant tubs like yours Baden, I put 70cent buckets from Bunnings, and they love piling in there on top of each other, and climbing all over them.

Lucerne pellets = Natty Cat = $27.50 per bag it keeps odours at bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back