Rats all dead........

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
well maybe that should be changed and incorperated by the breeder, so many of the people on here get on their high horse about replicating ur reptile natural environment maybe soem breeders should do similar for the rodents we breed.
its not hard to give them a good variety of space, and when u do give them a natural environment the number of pups u get dramatically increases, not haveing a dig at u at all ok.

cheers

I live in Orange, which it snows really well here.
My pet rats are in a big cage and their bed is one of those bird nesting boxes, theyre are 4 adult Female rats in there.
Never had issues with cold killing them...
Odd....

here what i have done

it has heat lite it only go on out nite
an doing with breeding
in has an it not glass
i cant spell word what im using

Attachments

• Picture 036.jpg
    Picture 036.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 80
  • Picture 037.jpg
    Picture 037.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 80
here my ideas

an it not glass it other stuff with heat lite i only use out nite time

Attachments

• Picture 037.jpg
    Picture 037.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 56
just let you all know im ***** out spelling

an watching what im writing so sorry
what im try say
that my rats breeding well now

Did you clean their enclosure yesterday? Could cleaning fumes have built up? Did you put something new in their enclosure, like a new dish or something, that may not have been cleaned properly? Different substrate? Just some idea's that you can investigate.

I had a baby mouse escape, a fuzzy still without it's eyes opened and no longer than 3cm, and it survived 2 nights on it's own in the back yard somewhere before my dog found it still alive so the cold night shouldn't have done it. The mouse is back safe with it's family.

If their cages are in direct sunlight though, heat stroke can kill them all very quickly. Even in plastic ventilated tubs, the heat can build to fatal levels.

Do you get cats in your yard at night?
I find that even the presence of a cat around my rats (smell maybe) makes them freeze on the spot and then frantically run so hard and fast that they run into stuff and get a bloody nose. If a cat hung around for a while, could they die from the stress?

it has heat lite it only go on out nite
an doing with breeding
in has an it not glass
i cant spell word what im using

Do you mean it has a perspex front instead of glass? I've got to ask something though. What is in the enclosure next to the rats? Is that a snake? It looks like something is coiled up.

cleaned last week..they are keeped in a 4ft by 2ft cage..wood and wire...have been for months well the adults...i onw cats and they sleep on their cage rats didnt care used to them..nothing has been sparyed nothing new......yeah...dont know what happened..

i came home two days ago to find 13 hopper rats were dead ,they were in 90 litre tub with there two mothers. Problem they had ,was they all had a bite to there heads .Coldnt belive that the mother or mothers killed there own young aspecially when they had spent time raising them up and the day before seemed content .Could it have been the cold that drove them to kill there young im in qld and it hasnt got that cold yet, yawl got me thinking about keeping them warmer during the winter ,This was to be the first harvest so got a bit angry at the most suspicious looking rat and clunked her on the spot and i will be keeping a close eye on the other one .Rats are a real pleasure to raise but after i see what they are capable of doing to each other. I dont have a problem kulling anymore.

no bite marks..all where fine..they where all togehther..some babies were on tits....though two weeks ago the parents were wormed..with new wormer..but thats 2 weeks ago..

am still backing the cold only say this because like someone pointed out, they are not in natural enviroment and therefore if the temp is dropping dramatically at night compared to day, they have no extra resources in their cage to buffer them from the drop at night/early morning, just like we need blankets?? If they were out or wild they would find a snug little corner away from drafts and wet etc??? I close my shed doors at night and give mine shredded paper seems to be enough for them to snuggle in! But i stil have issues with the weaners and the cold! like someone else said 'seperate the man from the boys!' but am considering heating (only the weaners though)...

I Wouldn't think wild rats would find a snug place to sleep at night because they are nocturnal :) They would be out and about looking for food etc.

Kim

Fair point, 'nocturnal thing'. Just tryin to demostrate my point seems that's all i do! 'Rats & Mice' but each to there own..u'll figure it out soon enough....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back