recently found skins

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vanando

Reaction score
Hi,
Can anyone assinst in identifying a couple of skins that I found in out shed yesterday while cleaning up?
We live on the Eastern Coast of Central Queensland & have seen both browns & pythons over the past few years due to chook coops & bird averies. The shed that the skins were found in has the chook & bird food stored in it so there is a constant supply of rodents available. The larger skin measures 3mts & has 43 midbody scales. It also has one large centered ventral scale with 2-3 smaller ones on either side of it. The smaller 2mt skin has the same scale formations.
I'm hoping they are only pythons & anything more serious.
Any assistance would be muchly appreciated.
Cheers,
Ando

Attachments

• IMG_4157.jpg
    IMG_4157.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_4159.jpg
    IMG_4159.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_4158.jpg
    IMG_4158.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 79
Defiantly a python shed,and considering where you are,its Coastal carpet..

The Highest midbody scale count on an Elapid (venomous) is I'm fairly certain 23, Taipans and Rough Scaled snakes. The high midbody scale count and more obviously the shape of the ventral scales rule out a venomous snake, venomous snakes have an elongated ventral scale.

Thanks everyone. I'm glad its a python or pythons. They can stay as long as they like.
pardon my lack of knowlege, but are the snakes the size of the skins or do the skins stretch when shed?

thanks. are they territorial? I'm trying to work out if there is two of them or if it's the same snake that has shed twice.

With all this wet weather there could possibly be two.Trying to find a dry area.Theres been a few dead on the hwy recently also..If theres a food resource there its quiet possible they will hang around..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back