Removal of 'bush rocks' and 'beach rocks' in Victoria Question.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Levold

Reaction score
Hi, was wondering if anyone knew the legality of removing loose rocks from the sides of roads (not state or national park roads) and beaches in Victoria for reptile enclosures/outdoor pits?
I know from reading on the web that it is illegal in NSW but cannot find anything relating to Victorian regulations.
I also remember doing it in the 1980's - 1990's as a kid/teen with no problems.

What - illegal removing of rock - would never happen :rolleyes:.

Don't know the legality, but I doubt anyone would give a rats unless you were disfiguring the enviroment eg. crowbar and sledgehammer.

Unless your going to build a house and are using a semi and an excavator to remove the rock..........................................might upset someone

Last edited:
It's illegal to pick up rocks????? Hahahahahahaha I'm glad I dont live in that part of the world. What a joke!

I use to do Lapidary/rock fossicking and we never really had any issues with the forestry workers. And as a solo person its not like any BIG rocks could be removed to make a significant impact on the surroundings. And on an environmental aspect, roads cut through the bush to make access to Logging coups do a lot more damage to the environment / animal habitats.

was a nice rock garden outside the bank the other day.....it's now a few rocks lighter haha

I would like to know also, grew up in W.A. and we always grabbed fallen trees on the roadside for firewood and things like that without any issues ever please tell me here in Vic is the same

Id like to know if this is true or not in QLD and can you take drift wood in QLD?! When I was walking some weeks back I noticed a heated conversation btwn some ppl over one person picking up some drift wood and wanting to take it home?! One person said you cant the other said you could?!?

It`s even illegal to take a fallen branch without a permit in vic.

Gone from nanny state to to complete insanity. It is your right as a citizen of earth to pick up a stone or a fallen branch if you want to. These desk driving beaurocrats are mad! A pox upon them!

Do you have to clean the sand from between your toes when you leave the beach or face larceny charges?
That is the most stupid thing I ever heard.

Id like to know if this is true or not in QLD and can you take drift wood in QLD?! When I was walking some weeks back I noticed a heated conversation btwn some ppl over one person picking up some drift wood and wanting to take it home?! One person said you cant the other said you could?!?

Yeah ive always thought you were not allowed.

Gone from nanny state to to complete insanity. It is your right as a citizen of earth to pick up a stone or a fallen branch if you want to. These desk driving beaurocrats are mad! A pox upon them!

Do you have to clean the sand from between your toes when you leave the beach or face larceny charges?
That is the most stupid thing I ever heard.

Pox on the people who cleanout habit by illegally removing ute loads of rock to build paths and retaining walls in their backyard. A pox on people who remove all the tree hollows to grow plants in. Wouldn't be stupid laws if there werent stupid greedy people. "Citizens of Earth, Your lease is hereby terminated. You have 60 days to vacate".

@ Levold
Just consider what your picking up. Spread yourself around. No one is going to worry to much if you take a little bit here and there.

Technically you are stealing from us, the public. What is even worse in my view is the tightarses who won't pay tip fees, so they dup rubbish on public land and again we , the public have to pay through the nose to clean it up. They save $50 and we pay $500.

Not too sure about the legality of it but common sense tells me not to remove rocks from the wild. Reason being, many animals find habitat living under rocks like the Broad-Headed Snake. The removal of natural rocks for landscaping purposes has reduced the habitat and the snake is now endangered in NSW. Please keep this in mind when thinking about taking rocks from the wild.

Here's an even better one - if you throw a road-killed native animal in the bin for disposal, that's fine. If you pick it up for dissection and making a study specimen (I'm a bio teacher and do sick stuff like this...) you need to have a permit. Fine for it to be hit by a car and dumped in the bin, but don't you dare use the carcass!

It`s even illegal to take a fallen branch without a permit in vic.

That is utterly hysterical!
So your walking through the bush and pick up a stick as a web remover and poking stick, your breaking the law? Ha ha ha

In answer to the OP although it's been a while since I've been in Noojee you should be pretty right picking up
a coupla of rocks.

Yea that's sad. _Peter and Wokka, he wants a branch and some stones for his herp hutch. Relax.

The cops probably have a drone on him as we speak!

Pythonmum I dont believe there is any limit on mindless beaurocray and we may in fact find them governing sport soon and ensuring it's a WIN WIN every game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back