Rodent breeding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Auspython1

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Can anyone offer any insight into their mice/rat breeding methods? I know it's not all that difficult it's just that once again i'm caught short on food for my little Bredli so i'll have to duck into town tomorrow to get him a couple of feeds. Ive decided to start breeding mice, and in the future rats, but i had the smell of mice so inside is a no go and i have several cats outside so out there is no good either. I was thinking under my house but it gets rather cold under there so maybe if i geared up a heat pad? What temps do people believe? What kind of containers do people use as well?

1. Rats and mice should not have an offensive smell if kept clean.
2. Your cats shouldnt be outside.
3. They are usually ok in winter even if kept outdoors, provided they have housing and are kept in groups to keep each other warm.
4. My rats are in a rack setup (3.1 ratio), mice are kept in large colonies (20.6 ratio) in a huge tub with wire covering.

Most animals have a smell yes? I have kept rodents before and i assure you it was done hygienically and i did not enjoy the smell. I wouldn't call it an "offensive" smell, just not one i enjoy. I did not ask for opinions on my cats just about the rodents. Thank you for your valid information though Vixenbabe.

Can anyone offer any insight into their mice/rat breeding methods? I know it's not all that difficult it's just that once again i'm caught short on food for my little Bredli so i'll have to duck into town tomorrow to get him a couple of feeds. Ive decided to start breeding mice, and in the future rats, but i had the smell of mice so inside is a no go and i have several cats outside so out there is no good either. I was thinking under my house but it gets rather cold under there so maybe if i geared up a heat pad? What temps do people believe? What kind of containers do people use as well?

To be perfectly honest its not worth breeding you own rodents if you only have a small number of reptiles to feed, the cost out weighs any of the percieved benifits!

ha mate well rats dont seem to smell for me but mice do um if there going to be out side make a hide for your rodent i use a milk bottle with sreeded news paper so they can make a nest to keep warm.
dont just have 1 cage with rodents have a few that way u can swap males over. if u have to may rodents for food sell them to pet shops or somthing like that ~!! temps im not to sure but try to stock up over warmer mouths cheers!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back