Scorpian ID??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

herptrader

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
This little guy is about 20mm long. Found close to the bay south of Melbourne.

Attachments

• scorpian.jpg
    scorpian.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 141
yeah sure of it its a juvie so its colours arnt fully developed yet. but im 100% sure

you find em all over the joint as far as roaches and cricket 2 at a time max otherwise it wont eat as its being constantly disturbed

I'm more inclined to think it's a marbled scorpian, Lychas marmoreus.

it looks that way doesnt it but the legs give it away and the colour of the claws
marbleds claws are totally brown you cam also see its a juvanile as it still hasnt coloured up fully where at 2 cm a marbled would be almost fully grown. i have like six of those at home that are only a tiny bit smaller than him.

oh also marbled scorps claws are very very thins as they are the most venomous scorps in australia granted not venomous enough to kill you but they will make you sic. and the location is wrong as well the marbled come from outer to central where as black rocks are found more coastaly this was found at a beach wich is about as coastal as you can get

So this guy:

http://museumvictoria.com.au/discoverycentre/Infosheets/Black-Rock-Scorpion/

I have it in a take away food container with some leaf litter with some tiny roaches and crickets. I have also been spraying it a couple of times per day.

This is the second one I have come across near the beach on the Mornington peninsula.

what sustrate are you useing best stuff is coco peat and then spraying him 2 - 3 times a week and feeding by putting two small crix or roaches in there untill they are gone then putting more in just make sure there is always food on offer and he has 50%dry and 50% wet kinda like a thermal gradient and it will do fine.

its defiantly a Cercophonius species for sure and they would most likely key out to a Cercophonius squama

cheers

Greg Bylund

Ah ok. I thought the pincers were a bit big, I only thought it was a marbled because I've never seen a black rock with pattern on it. All the ones I've seen have just been plain - is this because it's only a youngin?

I'll agree and say it is 110% NOT a lychas or a urodacus.

There are three species occuring around the melboune area, they are the urodacus manicatus (black rock), Lychas marmoreus (marbled scorpion) and the cercophonius sp. most probably squama.

I own all three and that is definitely a Cercophonius species and as greg said, it is most likely a C. squama.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back