Sexing Knob tail geckos

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ericreptiles

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone can tell me the sex of my Knob tail gecko. I think I have a female but would like to hear what everyone else thinks.

Attachments

• PICT0310.JPG
    PICT0310.JPG
    238.9 KB · Views: 470
Dr Danny Brown has an excellent series of care sheets that demonstrate sexing of most gecko species, his whole site is very informative:

http://gecko.bigpondhosting.com/care_sheets.htm

Hard to see in the pic but does look female, as doesn't appear to have large hemi-penal bulges at the base of its tail. I also think the smooth knobbies, in males,have a larger spur or projection in the at the base of their tails (white lumps/protrusions) that is obvious when looked from dorsal (above) aspect.

Depending on age, it does appear to be a female but could be a developing male.

Does it have a enlarged scale cluster/ spur scluster on each side of the bulges?

Shawn

Tough one, certainly looks full grown and by it's size alone I'd say female.

Yep I'm with the female camp-no votes for a male out there?

Thanks all and thanks DrNick for that great sight of Dr Danny Browns.After looking at that and your replies I am sure I have 2 females.Once again Thanks.

These are rough knob tails, not smooth so the tails are different, however the anatomy in the vent region is similar. Note the very obvious bulges (he is a well endowed little boy):

MALE:

DSCN4516.jpg

FEMALE:

DSCN4512.jpg

i dont know how to sex them, but after looking at drnicks pics i think you have a female aswell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back