Should all animals be on licence and banned from sale in shopping centre pet shops

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How should pets be sold?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

user 16446

Reaction score
This is the worst time of year for the RSPCA, as so many animals are simply 'discarded' for whatever pathetic reasons.....just can't afford it any more, it's not small and cute like it was 6 months ago, my child wants an x-box this year etc....

They love us more than we love them, they get attached to their owners and comfortable in their home environments, then discarded like last years presents or sold to 'someone else' because they're no longer wanted or afforded.

I'm suggesting a few options to get people's opinions.
1: ALL animals must be 'licenced' (AND compulsory microchipped).
2: Have all animals BANNED from sale in shopping centres and pet shops. (Available only from breeders)
3: Both of the above
4: Only licenced buyers can buy from pet shops.

Keep animals away from impulse buyers.......and RSPCA death row!

i totally agree with you mate if they make its like a reptile licence in nsw it will stop alot of impulse buyers 2 weeks aint impulse if you ask me haha

Certainly ban all pets from pet shops and back yard breeders....all animals should be micro chipped and licenced...and that includes cats as well as dogs. Reptiles should only be sold by and to licenced breeders.

I think they are all good suggestions, anything that stops impulse buying!
But I think people would still get around it the way they get away with not desexing, micro chipping and registering their animals now.

I opened my local newspaper today and the double page spread in the middle was the RSPCA using the festive season to try and off load dogs. kinda counter productive don't ya think?

All animals on license? I think this ludicrous. it would be a logistical nightmare!

I wouldn'y want the keeping of my non native pets to be heavily regulated too, paying more fees, more paperwork for me. Waste of money as it won't prevent anything.

With cats and dogs, there is a simple solution but our politicians don't have the balls to implement it; compulsory desexing and only registered breeders allowed to breed.
How about desexing reptiles? I am now running for cover! :shock:

i think it would help so much if you had to be licenced to breed and sell puppies and definately ban them from petshops and malls because thats where the kids beg their perants for a puppy

as if you cant impulse buy when you have a licence.......how many people have gone to a breeders place to pick up an animal and ended up leaving with 3

as if you cant impulse buy when you have a licence.......how many people have gone to a breeders place to pick up an animal and ended up leaving with 3

Exactly.

A licensing system would not halp anything i dont think. Maybe the registration fee for the dogs and cats can go towards the desexing of animals that are not wanted for breeding. That will eliminate the ''oh my dog got under the next door neighbours fence and now we have 10 puppies to sell''.

Anyone can get a reptile licence including impulse buyers so it would be the same for a cat and dog licence even though you have to wait a few weeks it doesn’t matter because if they have already payed for the licence they are likely to get one so they feel they haven't wasted their money on the licence

imo cats and dogs should be on very strict licenses and reptiles (native) not on licenses, coz lets face it, what can an escaped reptile do compared to an escaped dog or cat.....

also if they make a cat and dog licence as nathancl, jay84 and titanic_boa have all said, it may not stop impulse buying, but it will certainly decrease it, also they should have the 6 month until sell rule, like with reptiles, no actually it should be a 1 year until sell/give away rule......

That would be horrible more people would have them put down then because they have to move.

That would be horrible more people would have them put down then because they have to move.

not sure what you mean by that mate

I think some impulse buying will be stopped by people needing to obtain a licence first but it wont stop ALL impulse buying. compulsory desexing except for registered breeders is a much better solution

no it was to the post before saying having to keep them for a year.

IMO no animals should be on licence unless relevant to conservation. Goldfish should have a cooling off period of 30 days to prevent kids and irresposible parents from impulse buying without having full husbandry knowledge to keep the goldfish alive for 20+ years.

Less than 10% of dogs and cats in shelters have microchips, all dogs and cats sold in pet shops must be microchipped by law.
So where do you think the majority of surrendered animals come from? The answer is private sales.
If Pet shops were banned from selling animals that means that there is one less place for people to sell their animals to and means more animals dumped.
Another fact for you: Ten years ago the RSPCA were against selling animals in the lead up to Christmas because they believed these animals would be surrendered after the holiday season. Now that they have several retail stores of their own, they encourage the purchase of dogs and cats at Christmas because it is more time to spend with your new pet.
Don't believe the propaganda of the RSPCA, they are another business that make a hefty profit every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back