should newbies dive in to reptile keeping or take it slow

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raymonde

Reaction score
why do i keep looking at woma and stimson's pythons that are for sale....
I only got my first snake in january (lovely little bredli) and told my self i should wait about a year before getting anything else so that i learn all the ups and downs and ins and outs about reptile keeping before i get too many animals.

but i REALLY REALLY want to get a woma, and after holding one i also really want a Stimson's... I keep looking at the 'for sale' ads and longing to buy, which is making it really hard to stick to my resolution of one new animal at a time. What makes it even harder, is i HAVE spare enclosures, and i am living off savings so i COULD afford another snake, but it would just mean i need to finish writing my thesis and get a paying job sooner....

What do you fellow reptile lovers think? Would it be irresponsible of me to get another snake already, only 2.5 months after getting my first snake? Or do you think that it would be wiser for newbies, like myself, to take it slow and stay with one animal for a while before getting too serious?

(I am not talking about the amount of research all people/newbies should do BEFORE purchasing any new pet, done that, i am relatively confident that i know what i am doing)

Last edited:
I dived right in and still have the first snake I bought. 29 snakes later I'm still loving them. What you are suggesting would deny me this opportunity to have so much fun and love for my animals. I bought 4 pythons in the first year.
It's not about newbies and such it's about people. There are people out there that have the personalities where they get bored of things quickly. These people should never own animals as they will get bored of them. But dont punish the rest because of the actions of a few.

I dont see any issue with you purchasing another. If you can properly take care of both animals go for it I say! maybe buy a book on the desired python you want to get and read up on it before purchase so you have all the knowledge you will need :)

I myself, am a 'newbie' reptile owner, brought my first Stimson (Sprocket) in Feb this year, within 2 weeks, went back and brought 2 beardies, I have another Stimson on hold, while I wait for Sprocket to shed so I can have him probed before I bring that one home, and I am also on the search for 2 jungle pythons right now...

I feel that if I have enough time to love and care for them, why not?

Do what your heart desires! If you have the money and patience to do your part then GO FOR IT! There's people out there that had 0 snakes then after 11 months they had 7! I got a spotted python last yearthat bit and bit and i was put off for a full year from getting another snake then less then a week ago i got the sweetest little bredli and i'm already looking into albino darwin hatchlings! Lol it's madness! Best of luck :D

I got 2 hatchlings straight up(of the same species)I decided to wait for a year too.... I lasted about 9 months simply due to finances though ;) I think any logical person would know within a month or two whether they could look after and enjoy more reptiles... Go for it I say :D

I brought my first snake november last year and my second in march this year and i i see someting else taht i love as much as the ones i already have i will probably get it to. so long as you can care for them i say go for it.

my first snake was a carpet and a nippy one :D dosnt didnt stop me from loving snakes :D care is similair for MOST

Im in the same position as you, i bought my first snake in feb a stimsons python(which was kinda an impulse buy at the time as i was reluctantly taken to a reptile expo but discovered a newfound passion). But i have done nothing but research and research every single day since i got her, and would love to get a murray darling now, i can afford one and stuff but i was thinking the same thing should i wait or get one now. I am having a baby in july so mabey i should get through that first and then see if i have enough time for two snakes lol. I reckon if you can afford it and know what you're doin then why not?

Yeah I say if u have the space the time and ability to care for them then you should!!! :D

I have two Children's. I bought my second one so that I could handle it while the first was shedding/ feeding and vice versa. I got tired of having to wait several days to hold my first snake so now I just rotate their feeds and so far they even shed at different times so I consider myself lucky there. Mind you one of them doesn't mind being handled 24/7 but for its health etc I have to restrain myself :lol: When the hatchy gets cranky I get out my yearling. Works a treat if you're a handle-them-all-the-time kind of keeper.

I went from owning 0 to now owning 11 within 4 months,in saying that i have read and studied reptiles for as long as i can remember,i also owned a couple of diamonds many years ago when i was much younger so i had previous experience,I say go for it as long as u know u can provide for them and take care of them properly the sky is the limit!

Cheers Matt

As long as you are confident, GO FOR IT!!!

If its what you want, and you know you'll be fine with more snakes in the long run, there is really no issue in getting another one.

I got one stimmy hatchy... exactly a month later I got two more :p so much for "one this season, and more next season"...

go for it.... you know you reeeaaaalllllllly want to.... hehehehehe

Like red-ink said, if you got the space, money and especially, the knowledge.... go for it. Looking after 2 or 3 snakes doesnt take that much more time than looking after one? Its space for enclosures (set up cost) and an extra rat each 7-14 days each... no biggy :)

I discovered the reptile world in September last year. 7 months on I now have 12... I have 2 Stimys (getting a 3rd in May), 1 SWCP ( getting 2nd in June, turtle, 5 frogs and 3 geckos. Hubby and I got addicted real quick :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you are looking for more because you have been bitten by the reptile bug just like the rest of us haha

i got bitten by the bug a long time ago (since before i was 8/9 years old), no idea how it started, it has just taken me a long time to actually get a pet snake.

sounds like i should get another snake :D:D:D all i need to decide now is whether or not i go overseas to visit my grandfather, if i go away then i should wait with a new snake, but if not then a new snake would be awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back