Sliding door issue...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Irbz_27

Reaction score
Hi all, just wondering if anyone had an idea on how I can shave a bit off some sliding glass doors? I recently bought an enclosure, and it seems that the bottom section was built once the glass was in as I can't get it out. It's a fair size enclosure so virtually impossible to clean without getting the glass out. I had to cut the thing in half to get it inside, so this made it possible to get the doors out, so now I just need to take about a mm or 2 off so I can remove them when I need to... Any tips how to do it?

Hey mate, you local glass dealer shoul be able to do it for only a couple of dollars

as others said take it to a glazier glass isnt something you should play with like this yourself with out knowing what your doing ive heard some nasty stories from people in the business involving bad lacerations to the wrist

and if its really only a mm or 2 then it may be hard for them to cut such a small amount off , i was a glazier and have cut glass , whilst i never tried to cut such a small amount off id imagine it wouldn't be 2 easy

if you've got a bit of time to kill, just take to it with sandpaper. It'll take a whiel though, and I don't think you can machine-sand it, it's got to be hand sanded or the vibrations might break the glass I think.

if you've got a bit of time to kill, just take to it with sandpaper. It'll take a whiel though, and I don't think you can machine-sand it, it's got to be hand sanded or the vibrations might break the glass I think.
If you do do this, just make sure you have good ventilation and a face mask. Glass dust is not something I would like to play with ;)

Hi all, just wondering if anyone had an idea on how I can shave a bit off some sliding glass doors? I recently bought an enclosure, and it seems that the bottom section was built once the glass was in as I can't get it out. It's a fair size enclosure so virtually impossible to clean without getting the glass out. I had to cut the thing in half to get it inside, so this made it possible to get the doors out, so now I just need to take about a mm or 2 off so I can remove them when I need to... Any tips how to do it?

My 2 mellomine enclosures with glass sliding doors are a pain to get the glass out :rolleyes: I get a car jack (expanding A type) and a length of 4x2 and place it in the enclosure in the middle at the front just behind the glass, then gently jack the top of the enclosure up prolly less than one cm. With the 2 pieces of glass in the centre, they pop right out.;) Putting back in is just the reverse. Easy as pie :)

:lol: it is..... I worked that out coz my 2 enclosures are on top of each other, there was no way I could get the glass out of the bottom one :shock: They say neccessity is the mother of invention ;)

You dont need to crank the jack much, prolly take up the slack and then 1/4 of a turn.... hardly seems like it is doing anything but boy it makes it easy :lol: Also, then you dont need to worry about trimming the glass..... cutting off less than a couple of cm is very difficult and grinding takes time and money.

Rats & Snake april 0712b 007.jpg

Last edited:
Another possibility is , while the glass is out , remove the bottom track and shave a bit off the timber . Its a lot softer than glass ;]

Yeah that's a good idea too, already put it back in but when I next get it out I'll have to do this to make it easier in the future. I think my 4 year old will be happy he no longer has to climb in and clean the snake enclosure...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back