Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brad12212

Reaction score
Hi every,

Im interested in getting a snake but dont know wat is the best one for children, and one that isnt to big.

Can any 1 point me in the right direction???:?

Thnxs brad

scrubbie :):) nah, go with a stimmie, a maccie or a childrens, they are the smallest commonly available pythons around

You said it yourself, get a childrens python.

A good snake is a BHP but they get big. Any snake is a good snake really, if u get it from a baby and treat it right u should have any problems. I just got a baby jungle wich are usually agressive, it was for the first day and now is as placid as my BHP. Also if u use the hand trick with babies u wont get bitten.

All the childrens pythons Ive seen are snappy little buggers that don't get out of it. I wouldn't class a 6ft snake as big or to hard to handle, as ong as u get it from a baby u will be fine. And remember they take a couple of years to get that big. Go for a bredli there really nice.

The best ones are(as said above)-
Stimpsons python(stimmy), childrens python and spotted python(maccy)

Apart from the spotted pythons(they can get to around 1.5m depending on type) they general stay under 1m so wont do much even if they do bite for some reason. Generally most of these snakes are docile but you will get some that are snappy so just make sure you dont buy a snappy one.

When looking at snakes and which is the best, main questions is your price range and possibly full grown size. Stay away from scrubbies & Olives as they grow huge and are vicious by nature (there is the odd exception to this)

This is just my oppinion, but when buying a snake go for something you like the look of (oviously in your price range) rather than just because it only gets to a metre long, as it wont take u long to be very comfertable around snakes and then you'll wish you got the one u really wanted. I personally don't like the look of childrens and Maculosus as they are very plain looking and loose there colour as they age. But if you like the look of them then go for it. Stimpson pythons (in the childrens python family) would proberbly be the nicest out of them all.

I wouldn't recommend a BHP or jungle either for a beginner.

Brad, how old are you and do you have a reptile license?

what's your budget, what kind of enclosure do you have ready or can have ready, what's your plan with feeding, how much can you afford to feed?

All of those questions should be thought about and then you can work out which type of snake you can get and what is in your budget to buy, feed and house.

If it was me personally i would go a Murray- Darling they seem to be very placid and are a lovely looking animal. I find the Children's pythons can be too finnicky and a little snappy- this is just my opinion based on what I have experienced. Others may disagree but anyone who seems to get a Murray-Darling straight up never seem to complain.

Simone.

I wouldn't recommend a BHP or jungle either for a beginner.

Brad, how old are you and do you have a reptile license?

what's your budget, what kind of enclosure do you have ready or can have ready, what's your plan with feeding, how much can you afford to feed?

All of those questions should be thought about and then you can work out which type of snake you can get and what is in your budget to buy, feed and house.

Yep these are all good questions to ask yourself. I wasn't recomending a jungle just explaining that any snake really can be a calm snake if you handle it often.

i'm yet to meet an antaresi that's aggressive or snappy. All the maculosa I've met have been pussy cats.

I reckon you are right Simone. Childreni and other Antaresia sp. are so small and very finicky usually because the beginner owner likes to handle them regularly, and they get put off food much more easily and the most common thing with them is that they seem to get out for beginners that aren't used to snakes finding tiny places to escape. Heaps of them seem to have feeding problems, although this is probably from stress of new environment and being handled too much by beginner keeper than the species. But because they are smaller they seem to tolerate it all less.

That's just based on my personal experience as well.

A juvenille carpet is the best way to go, MDs are great and don't get too big either.

gabi i am 13 and have a reptile license. I own 2 beardies, 2 gygmie, 2 jackylash tails, 1 thorney devil. I have handled snakes before

Diamond, Bredli or a MD would be my preference for a 1st snake in that order. I just prefer the look of a Bredli over a MD but everyone has different tastes.

But if size is a major issue then a Stimpsons. I think Stimpsons look better than maccs and Childrens.

Sorry buddy not shooting you down or anything but handling snakes and keeping them are two totally different things. Have you actually kept one as a pet before? And your question asked what the best one is for children. Do you have younger siblings at home?
I really do think you would be better off with a Murray Darling or something along those lines, maybe a Proserpine. Where in NSW do you live? Are you in Sydney? If so i could recommend a couple of breeders to you who can discuss your situation and what they think might be best for you.

Good Luck,

Simone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back