Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
how do you feed your thorny devil? got any pics?

i'm yet to meet an antaresi that's aggressive or snappy. All the maculosa I've met have been pussy cats.

I've been bitten by a pussy cat before... and not once!!!

No one ever asked - does your cat bite? Hehe... there was a thread like this a few months back... Where everyone asked does the snake bite? Why doesn't anyone ask if the children bite.. cause I know someone's who does!!! lol....

Anyhow.. I have a spotted python - and she's lovely. Very placid, keeps pretty much to herself. doesn't mind the occassional adventure... Mostly... she's the most perfect pet :)

Well, pretty mutch with a budget of $200 that dosn't give u a lot of options other than the Maculosus, stimpsons, and childrens pythons and that's if you get them from a breeder as most pet shops sell them for $280 +. I agree that childrens, Macs etc are a lot more snappy and it proberbly is due to there size (always felling threatend). All I can sugest is with any snake u ever get, try to go for one that dosn't snap at u the first time you pick it up and go for a known breeder. Baby bites don't hurt (more shock than anything) but it can be enough to make u nervous and this leading to a nervous snake. Just look around and see if you can find a breeder that will let you have a look at the babies and parents and I sugest see how you go handling both, make sure you can also properly care for the snake as well before purchasing (keep in mind all animals could possibly need a vet at some stage and it can cost big $$). Not trying to put u off or anything but just keep all this in mind before you make a decision.

Do u have a pick of your thorny devil, I would love one of them, were did you get yours from if you don't mind me asking. :)

i got it from cuzen and soz no pics will have some pics soon tho.and ye sit is sorta hard to feed but u just feed pin head crikets or honey ants

Last I heard there were 4 licensed keepers of them, thorny devils, in NSW and also I'm pretty sure they are on class 2...which you can't have if you are under 18

So you're telling us you are 13, have a lizard that's worth thousand of dollars that only a handful of keepers have in NSW?

Either you are rich and have some good contacts, or you have one illegally off license that is WC, or you are BSing.

Diamonds aren't good for a beginner, asked serpenttongue why.

Mate, unless you are paying a couple of grand per lizard, you aren't getting legally on license thorny devils.

They aren't a beginners species either, so if your um 'cuz' is catching them from somewhere or getting them from someone who did, they probably wouldn't last very long and also is highly illegal.

They are virtually non-existent in the hobby, this is why I highly doubt a 13 year old that has only $200 budget to spend on a snake is getting a thorny devil or two. Sounds like petlink or something.

What kind of reptile license do you have?

thorny devils are worth $4000-$5000, feeding it pinheads and honey ants wont do it any good, they need small black ants to survive

i would love to get a thorny devil too, but the amount of ants that they eat is just extraordinary.
you would have too set-up an ant farm to feed them and they have to be the right species aswell.

alice springs desert park has a natural ant supply for theirs, i have seen other people with 3 or 4 3-4ft fish tanks each with a large ant colony just to keep these guys, if i had the time, money and skill i would like one

brad,
i was about 12 when i got my first snake and it was a juvi mac
(or spotted python) it was snappy when i got it but its a bit better...its about 5 years old now
and a few months ago bought coastal carpet juvi which has never even tried to snap or bite me yet...
i think you might be better of going for some kind of carpet...they take a few years to beomce fully grown so you will probably be used to it by then...and mine only cost 150.
sophie

for about $110 i got a snake, clickclack and heat cord, it was a 2yr old carpet python, its bout almost 3yrs old, altho u dont normally get them that cheap, she was $80

a plastyic storage container, the ones with the clipon lids, normally on wheeles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back