snake in our yard

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jerryb

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone can help me, but I want to try and find out what kind of snake we just saw in our yard. It is a little vague as I don't know much about snakes.
I am in the Northern Suburbs of Sydney.
The snake was slender, about 50cm long, a dark grey in colour and seemed to have slightly lighter grey, but very faint stripes. The head was slightly more brown. It didn't seem to bothered by us. Kind of watched us and then slithered off into the bush.

I was thinking perhaps a tiger snake, but am not too sure? Does anyone have any photos of a tiger or young tiger?

what suburb in northern sydney?they exist in Ku ring gai national park but unlikely to be in your backyard your going to have to google juvi tiger pics but they are highly variable so i doubt you will positively id with out a pic and your snake will remain a mystery

Young eastern brown snake. Can't give an ID without a photo but that is the closest thing to your description and they are common in your area.

we are in Wahroonga backing right onto national park.

Apart from the slender bit it pretty well sums up most bluetongue as snake calls we get.
When you say stripes, do you mean down the body or bands, across the body?

across the body. It was definitely not a bluetongue...it was def a snake.

I am a little puzzled, but I think either an Eastern Brown or tiger. But it looked like a young snake.
Anyway, cant be sure. Wish I had my camera at the time

sounds like a EB or a Tiger imo..without pics of course its just a stab in the dark..either way id keep an eye on my yard..

could be either or or another lot of snakes... it is very hard to guess what kind of snake it is off a discription some times :(

DSCF2670.jpg

hey didnt happen to look like this now did it ?

could have maybe be hoplocephalus bungaroides (broad headed snake) as well depend where you live
highly doubt it mate, broad head's are primarily black with pale to yellow marking (irregular as they are but not banded), plus it just happens to be one of the rarest and most seldem seen herps going around.
good chance of it being an EB considering you said it was slender and had dull coloured two shade bandings, hard to tell though. anyone got photo's of juvi banded EB's this may help.

highly doubt it mate, broad head's are primarily black with pale to yellow marking (irregular as they are but not banded), plus it just happens to be one of the rarest and most seldem seen herps going around.
good chance of it being an EB considering you said it was slender and had dull coloured two shade bandings, hard to tell though. anyone got photo's of juvi banded EB's this may help.
the above pic is of a juvie EB it had very faint type of bands to none ,it was a greyish colouration and browner head ...and around the 50cm mark ..I would say a good chance that it was an EB ...see if I can find other pics of it ...just thought that if he saw this pic it might jog his memory a bit ...
have only got this other one ..

DSCF2667.jpg

anyway I reckon this little fella was cute as ...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back