Snake size

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fazz

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking to buy a snake but I can only ever find the maximum size they get. I was wondering if anyone could give me the average size that the adult snakes of the following species grow to:
- Murray Darling Carpet python
- Woma
- Black headed python
- Spotted python

Any photos of you holding or showing the size of one of these snakes would be much appreciated too! If you can think of any other beginner snakes that grow larger than a spotted but do not usually grow over two metres that would be appreciated.

Can someone also please let me know if snakes continue to grow as they age or do they reach their full size in their early years and then stop growing.

Thanks in advance =)

They vary a lot. It's a bit like asking how tall the average human is. You can come up with an average but plenty of people will be very different from that figure.

Murray Darlings will commonly range from about 2M-2.5M
Womas about 150cm give or take a fair bit.
Black-headeds vary a lot depending on race and how they're raised, but generally over 2M and some a lot larger.
Spotteds average around about 120cm but commonly vary from about 90cm to about 140cm and as with these species you'll get some particularly small or large individuals.

They do continue growing as long as they live, but the amount of growth is small after their first few years and generally pretty trivial after about 8 years. This can vary a little, if they don't grow much in their first few years they'll be more likely to do more growth later.

If you want a beginner snake in Australia under 2M you basically have Antaresia and Womas. I'd suggest Antaresia. Womas are fantastic snakes, I really like them, but their behaviour is a bit unpredictable for beginners and their feed response very strong. If you don't mind being bitten and likely clamped on to while you're learning to read and handle them, don't rule them out. They're really goofy, comical, idiotic snakes which are lots of fun to work with, and seeing them try to eat their water bowls, handling hooks, themselves, you, sliding glass doors etc provides plenty of laughs.

Back