Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

I_am_the_man

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm thinking about getting a pet snake. I dont want it to be to small and i need something easy to maintain. This is a list of snakes that are legal in West australia.

• Stimsons Python
  • South-western Carpet Python
  • Black-headed python
  • Woma Python
  • Olive Python
  • Tiger Snake
  • Mulga Snake
  • Spotted Mulga Snake

Just so you live to enjoy the hobby, you can probably cross the Mulga and Tiger off the list, the Olive will hug you to death (too big for the inexperienced). My vote is with the Woma, followed by SW Carpet then Stimson's....

well the last three can kill you..... if its your first i would go with stimmi or woma

If you are in WA the only ones you can have on your first licence is
the Stimson or the SW Carpet

I'd go for Stimsons or a Carpet. I have heard Black-Headeds are picky eaters and can be difficult. Stimson only grow around 1 metre so thats pretty small i guess. I don't keep snakes but after researching heaps about them and reading lots of posts on here thats my opinion.

I'd go for Stimsons or a Carpet. I have heard Black-Headeds are picky eaters and can be difficult. Stimson only grow around 1 metre so thats pretty small i guess. I don't keep snakes but after researching heaps about them and reading lots of posts on here thats my opinion.

Black heads LLOOVVEE their tucker :)

Any of the non-vens are fine. Easy enough to keep. Just keep in mind olives can get huge but if you have the space to house and money to feed it then that isn't a problem. My advice is buy them young but established. That way you get the full experience, and you don't have to worry about getting one off the bat that is too big for you to handle.

Well you want a big snake, stimsons are small, so theyre off the list.
Mulgas and tiger snakes are deadly, so they're off the list too.
Olives are huge, however if you get a baby you may be able to handle it.
Blackheads can be big and scary, but you could have one as a first.
I'd say the carpet python Or woma would be your best bet. I'd say get the woma, although WA womas aren't very big...

Like I said I'm not an experienced snake keeper in any sense of the word hehe
But I have also heard some of are psychopaths haha

Thanks so much you guys

Which snake would be best for a beginer, Stimsons, south-west carpet python.

Thanks

Last edited:
Sucks to live in WA

my first snake was a yearling SW carpet...
Would not change it for anything... although

You choose what you like, not what other people think you should get.
In the end, you are the one who has to look at it and care for it everyday.

I started with a Stimsons, great beginner snakes and very friendly.

Couldn't agree more. Mine is a doll.

My first Diamond is a little snippy at the moment, hopefully the second won't grow up the same way.

I'd say the south west would be best all round, not too small, not too big, easy to look after, well natured, pretty.

Could someone tell me a site that gives me info on the stimpsons python and their enclosures ect.

I dont know if that is possible

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back