Some difference in size

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good thread Michael, and once again, lovely greens!

About the prolapse problem, does it happen that often? A friend of mine purchased a GTP hatchie and it prolapsed many times and unfortunately died. Do they prolapse because of large food items? Or if they are gonna prolapse it will happen whether the food is large or not?

wouldn't feeding one of them more effect the time it takes for them to turn green?

Frogboy, again, to avoid repeating myself, go to my article on OCC in January issue of Scales & Tails to see the whole picture.

Jay, it's not a common problem and the course may be variable. I believe that some juveniles are predisposed to the condition (genetically), others are being fed too often, too big food items, not enough exercise, etc.. The smaller the neonate at hatching, the more chance of a prolapse because they have to be fed small pinkies for a longer time than larger neonates.
I am not trying to beat my drum here but the fact that I have never had a prolapse case with natives may well be because they are big when they hatch. Check the statistics on my web site.

M

Thanks for that Michael. Interesting, good to hear yours sound nice and healthy, they certainly look it!

Waterrat, after some thought I realise that all I have succeeded in doing is destroying a thread that I was really quite interested in by starting an argument with you. I was a bit too quick to take offence and also to escalate the situation. The point I was trying to get across was that perhaps some patience with the not so knowledgeable could go a long way on this forum and I am not too pig headed to admit there would have been better and politer ways to achieve this.

No worries, no hard feelings on my side. I trust that once you have read the article, you realised that the issue is more complex than can be described in few words. If any topic is worth writing up and published, I prefer to do that rather than posting the info on a forum where it gets buried in a few days.

cheers
M

On the original topic, Micheal if you dont mind me asking, with your experiance in feeding younger hatchlings alot to get them bigger have you breed them at a younger age?

And if so how do the clutch size compare to older animals breeding for the first time?

Ben

Ben, I usually don't feed hatchlings a lot or fast, I have never done this before, this is a one of experiment and if see any averse signs I will abort the feeding regime.

First clutch from a young females is usually smaller, ~ 12 eggs and then in progressively increases in subsequent clutches. I had maximum 22 eggs from an older female. There are exceptions, one of my 4 year-old females laid 16 healthy, big eggs in her first clutch. I think it depends a lot on the female's conditions and also her size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back