South Western Carpet Python - New and unconfident

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just remember if you reduce heat in winter don't feed. They need heat to digest, without heat the rodent may go off in it's gut and poison your snake.
As steve said you need to measure temps with a thermometer not just the setting on the thermostat.
I feed and heat my young swcp right through winter. My adults I cool (which is still giving heat to them) and stop feeding from May to end of August.
What area of Perth are you in? The wa forum and the WAHS is a great place for meeting other people in Perth who keep SWCP.

I'm in the Perth Hills. I did quite a bit of reading; i read that it should be 33 at the hot end and 25 at the cool end with a gradient between. I read about the cooling for breeding pythons, but i am not breeding; the woman who previously had him said she kept the heat on where it is (30) and that if i left that be then that would be fine, she said she didnt cool him at night, that the ambient temp in the room would be variant enough. She also said that she fed him through the whole year, so perhaps that is why she always heated him?

When i say colourless i mean no colour, it emits only heat, no light. There is a cage around it, of course. I would hate for him to be burnt. The bulb is an Oz White conical ceramic heat emitter, specifically for reptiles or incubation. It was bought from ultimate Reptile Suppliers. His basking spot is on this, on a rock hidey hole under it, he moves between the rock and the hide at the cool end and seems happy enough?

I posted it here just to see which is better, cycling heat or leaving it on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back