Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leezel73

Reaction score
Hello.... PLEASE HELP!!!

I've been doing my research on first snakes and i'm stuck on stimsons or childrens. It will be for my sons 5th birthday present and I'm a bit stumped any info would be great. And is there 1 fantastic AUSTRALIAN website that has all info I need to set up enclosure???

go with the stimpsons they hold there colours longer and the childrens fade with age, but both great first snakes though:)

they are very similar and both grow to about 3 feet in length so great pythons for a child but i would have to go with the stimsons as they are a much more beautiful snake when they age

Hi,

I personally prefer Stimson Pythons over Childrens Pythons - The choice is up to you though.

I have 2 Adult Stimson Pythons (Female and Male).

Here's a picture of the Female Stimson Python:

000_0010-8.jpg

Stimson Pythons get to 1m max in length, The female is 95cm long and she is 4 years old, The male is 2 years old and is roughly 90cm long.

The enclosure is simple for Stimson Pythons,

000_0007-12.jpg

Mine is:

Length: 90cm
Width: 60cm
Height: 60cm

Heating and Accessories:

Lock on the glass
Thermostat
Thermometer
100W Heat Emitter
Cage Cover
Paper Towel as the Substrate
Water Bowl
2 Hide Rocks
1 Large Log (she can hide in it also)
1 Branch
Fake Plants

I also have newspaper wedged inbetween the gap of the glass on the enclosure, as they can fit through the gap - I've had that happened before and found the snake aleep under the blanket on my bed lol.

The temperatures in the enclosure are:

Hot End: 32º
Cool End: 24º - 26º

Hopefully someone else with abit more experience will be able to help you out.

Chris

Last edited:
so with eclosures you only need 1 heating light?? for the warm end?? and if we looked at getting 2 would I get male and female or female female or male male??? and if we only got one which is the better sex?? I know sooo many questions but theres sooo much to know before taking the big leap!!!

doesn't matter what you get sex wise, they should be kept seperate, hatchies best kept in a small tub (click clack) half on a heat mat controlled by a thermostat

how long would they need to be in a small tub??? and why?? and whats click clack??if we did get 2 how long would we have to wait to introduce them??

I have 14 month old Bredli that are in 30L Click Clacks and they have heaps of room to move around still.

Here's a basic picture of a click clack from inside view: ( Has a Woma in it )

000_0013-10.jpg

Here's a picture of a click clack from outside view: ( Has a Bredli in it )

000_0023-5.jpg

Antaresia can be canablistic, so I wouldn't be housing them together or introducing them to one another until they're at breeding age/size.

they need to be in a small area so they dont stress out and they feel secure and a click clack is just a tub with a lid and some snakes dont seem to like each other and fight and the sex doesnt matter

anywere from twelve to eighteen months in the click clack before you introduse them to the bigger enclosure

It is far easier to keep the right temps in a small plastic enclosure to get them started, esp if you live south of the snakes natural climate. Most hatchling pythons, esp the childrens group, feed on skinks / geckoes naturally, offering dead pink mice isn't always to their liking, by keeping them well heated, and feeling secure, you will have better feeding results. Don't be too worried about keeping them confined, they spend the greater part of their lives in confind areas, jambed under a rock ect.

Its all sooo confusing??
what sort of heating would they need in a "click clack" because wouldnt the heat mat melt the plastic??

When that picture was taken, that bredli was only 10 months old - It's the smallest bredli out of the 3 that we have.

Leezel73:

Here's a picture of what the Bredli look like now:

000_0017-6.jpg

This bredli is only just over 12 months old, and he'd be bigger than my adult stimmie, in length.

If I had a wooden enclosure or even glass how would the heating mat work with those??

I am quiet excited about the whole idea of adding to our family but I do need to confess... I also have a huge fear of snakes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back