Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

A.l.a.n.a

Reaction score
I am hopefully going to convince my parents to let me have a snake and I was wondering if what I've heard about some snakes is correct.

I was considering a type of Carpet Python, or maybe a Stimsons (hope i spelt that correctly, I'm going off memory). I've heard that most of the Carpet Pythons are placid and almost "bulletproof".

I have had very little experience handling snakes so I'm looking for one that won't get upset with a novice handling it. Is there any other types of pythons that anyone would recommend?

Also would you recommend a male or female?

Male or female, really no difference in temprement. as both can be bitey and both can be placid just depends on preference..

For beginners I was reccommended anything from the anteresia family ( maculosa, childrens and stimsons), bredli, carpets are ok, but full grown can reach up to 3m so you have to be able to keep such a large snake...

also try searching snakes for beginners or something similar, as you'll get loads of info :)

Need anything else, yell over the fence :D

Last edited:
hi

it depnds what sized snake you expect it to be, if you want a "small one" then a spotted pythin is probably best, but if you want a larger one then a carpet would be good, but I don't recommend jungles or Drawin's as good handlers.

See other posts here and you will (hopefully) be told that snakes aren't an animal that should be handled regularly.

Must ask is that you in your avatar?

cheers

Male or female, really no difference in temprement. as both can be bitey and both can be placid just depends on preference..

For beginners I was reccommended anything from the anteresia family ( maculosa, childrens and stimsons), bredli, carpets are ok, but full grown can reach up to 4m so you have to be able to keep such a large snake...

also try searching snakes for beginners or something similar, as you'll get loads of info :)

4m!? :shock: I wouldn't want to meet a coastal that big.. there average size is 3m and thats still a pretty big coastal.. I don't think there is a coastal recorded at 4m? That's more the size of a water or a smallish olive.

For beginners I was reccommended anything from the anteresia family ( maculosa, childrens and stimsons), bredli, carpets are ok, but full grown can reach up to 4m so you have to be able to keep such a large snake...

Ummm i think u may have a typo there as they dont quite get that big LOL

Lewy

4m!? :shock: I wouldn't want to meet a coastal that big.. there average size is 3m and thats still a pretty big coastal.. I don't think there is a coastal recorded at 4m? That's more the size of a water or a smallish olive.

whoops, sorry I have olives on the brain :? my mistake! That's why I befriended you dave, you pick up my mistakes :lol:

whoops, sorry I have olives on the brain :? my mistake! That's why I befriended you dave, you pick up my mistakes :lol:

Haha, what can I say. I'm such a good friend eh :lol: ;)

i think more an olive or scrub dave :D!!!!

pretty much want dunno said is good! my first snake was a spotted! easy to keep...mine was so placid...still never bitten or attempted! second was a bit nifty....but now hes really good! childrens are also pretty easy to look after and handle! i reckon the best snake to keep though is bredlis! they are smallish (but still get big) and have beautiful colours! they look wonderful! diamonds are also fabulous creature! abit harder to keep from what some people have said though!

For Freddy's Sake Dave94 and you other's, how the hell does this answer A.l.a.n.a.'s question????

You're off topic and have you read any books?? Check out Cogger: reptiles and Amphibians of Australia.

The best one for you is the one you want. For a first snake I would recommend a baby. Babies do tend to be snappy, but only because they are young and frightened. Often they grow out of it to become the placid animals you have heard about. And as babies they can't hurt you. So its a good start and you grow to learn his habits and the more confident you are, the better he will be.

Stimsons are considered great little snakes. Lovely temperament - most of the time - don't need as big a space as the carpets. But even with a carpet you don't need that 4 foot enclosure first up with a baby. Let him grow in tubs until he is about 4 foot, then you can introduce him to his more permanant residence. Jungle carpets are probably considered the not-for-beginners snake, particularly if you want one that won't get upset easy. They have a reputation for being bitey and I have heard more cases of them staying that way than I have of many settling down. Bredli's can be snappy babies but lovely as adults. Diamonds can be a little more finicky than other carpets but if you do your homework first and know their requirements, they are a beautiful pet and as placid as a coastal or intergrade. Murray Darlings are an inland carpet. Lovely silver/grey and black markings - very under-rated in looks but again another lovely temperament but watch their cousins - the Gammons Range carpet which enjoy taste testing your skin.

Hope this helps :D

I have jungles and darwins, and they are a lot more placid then my spotteds. My advice would be to get an established hatchling of whatever species you like the most, they usually calm down over the first year (and by the time it gets to be a size that can be a handful, you will have years of handling experiance)

I asked thw same question about 2 weeks ago and got loads of great answers.

Most people basically said that Murray Darling Pythons (or Inland Pythons) as well as Bredlis (or Centralian Carpet Pythons) are fantasic first snakes, because as a rule they are mild tempered and very forgiving of the newbies mistakes in handling and husbandry. Also, unlike Diamond Pythons and some other species they don't have so many special requirements and can handle a wide range of temperatures. But the MD's get to about 6 foot and the Bredlis get to about 8 foot, so if you're after something smaller go for something like a Spotted, a Stimson of a Childrens.

Stay away from Jungle Pythons and Water Pythons, and to an extent Darwins because apparently they can be a bit bitey (or so I am told).

Scrub Pythons and Olive Pythons, and some Coastal Carpets get reeeaaallly big too, so maybe not for your first.

what is best for one person isnt best for another. it depends on what size snake you want. the bigger the snake, the bigger the enclosure thats needed. so that means more expense. snakes are like people. some are placid, some arent. allways handle the snake your thinking of buying. if possible try and handle its parents. do your homework and buy off someone that comes highly recommended.

For Freddy's Sake Dave94, how the hell does this answer A.l.a.n.a.'s question????

You're 14, have you read any books?? Check out Cogger: reptiles and Amphibians of Australia.

What the hell? I was just saying carpets don't get to 4metres lol.. If I was told a coastal got 4m I would never think about owning one, like I said Emily has changed it. I wasn't even doing it to be a *** either if thats what you think. And here we go again :rolleyes: another dig about my age. Do you really want me to do everything right ok?

A good beginner snake depends on if you can house a large snake which requires a large enclosure (EG Olives 6foot by 2foot by 2foot or bigger) For handling for a novice I would personally go with a snake around 2metres or smaller for the sake of either getting bitten/overpowered or even by getting imitated by the larger python.

If you don't have much size for an enclosure I'd go with a Antaresia Family (Stimsons,spotted,children ) as They only need a 3x2x2 to be comfy, even though 4x2x2 is better. With stimsons and children only managing 80-100cm long it is easy to handle.

If larger enclosures are available/space is ok and you don't mind a bigger snake then I'd go with morelia sub species. (Bredli,MD,darwin,coastal etc) I left Jungles out, even though there a smaller morelia they are known to be snappy as adults and when young. You can get some nice adults and babies though anyway. I personally have two morelia bredli. They are a dream to handle, there feeding response is good and they are a manageable size at 2-2.5metres.

Then theres MD, basically like a bredli with size etc. These are also cheaper so these could be an option.

Coastals are the larger morelia, getting at 2.5-3metres of length, I've been told coastals and cop a bad bite but all morelia can be devils.

Morelia a 4foot long 4foot high 2foot wide is the normal enclosure size, some people keep them in 4foot long 2ft wide 2ft hgh though..

Then theres aspidides.

BHP (Black headed pythons). I don't know much bout these guys but I've been told there huge bluffers normally. let down is there $700+. Enclosure size 4x2x2 is ok for males but big females will need 6x2x2.

Woma what I see is there feeding response is high and they can mistake hands etc as food. Need a 4x2x2 enclosure.

Dave

.....if possible try and handle its parents. do your homework and buy off someone that comes highly recommended.

But don't totally rely on the parents' behaviour as gospel to how the baby will turn out. Just because Dad bites doesn't mean baby will. Buying from reputable ppl is excellent advice. They will teach you more about their snakes than a pet shop will tell you.

Bredli still get to well over 8ft, my girl was 8'6" two years ago and i haven't measured her since so she could be pushing 9ft now. The other thing with bredli is they are a very heavy bodied snake compared to carpets, not that any of this makes them bad pet snakes.

Have a shop around, get to see some adult snakes as well as hatchies and choose one that appeals to you. Just for the record i would recommend any Aussie python as a first snake, just try and buy from a breeder so you have alot to choose from.

if you want a blonde mac (which is a blonde spotted python :D) get it from shane, shane's aussie pythons in the sponsor list, PM him.

I hate to say this, because it always annoys me when people say it, but try searching the directories. Now that doesen't always help so this is what I think.

Carpet pythons are great, but do grow big. If you do choose to go for a carpet, I would steer clear of Jungles. They are known for bad temprement.

If you choose not to go with Carpets, Anasteria is the way to go. They stay small, and most have good temprements, but it varys from snake to snake.

Male or female? I would say female if its not going to cost you extra. This is because if, at a later date you choose to breed, you can buy a pair, plus have this female, meaning two clutches. But then again if there is a beautiful male, or one you like better, handles better etc, go with that.

Hope this helped, and I hope this didn't take too much of your day to read lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back